• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 aw4 shifting funny

waynej

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 96 country model xj about 2 weeks ago for 800 and it runs great for 246K on the original motor and trans other than the occasional misfire on 4 but it did have a rough 1 to 2 shift when i first got it and thought nothing of it mainly because all the other gears shifted fine and I was planning on beefing it up when I put a stroker kit in it but just today on my way home going over the mountains I was in 3rd to keep it from hitting overdrive and bogging down and it started bucking a little and felt like it was slipping. I'm not sure if it's a valve body issue or torque converter slip. It was jumping around as if the converter was locking and unlocking. I have yet to buy a Haynes manual for the vehicle so i don't know where to start with the tests other than unplugging the tcm like I've read in other forums. I did that and it shifted fine but of course i didn't have 2nd or and converter lock up. Is there any other quick test or resistance values that anyone knows of that i can check before I wire in a set of manual switches kinda like a cheap Baja shifter.

Fluid is full and has remained full since I've bought it. I drive about 40 mins to work over two mountains and back the same way everyday and the color is sorta brown not dark. I'm not sure if it's suppose to be red or if it's one of the fluids that change color a little like ford's mercon LV. I do a lot of ford transmission work and only use to their transmissions and their fluid will turn about the same shade of brown but still be fine. It doesn't really smell like burnt material. I'm just low on money right now and trying to find the cheapest route for now until rebuild or replace it later down the road.

Should be cherry red and clear. Dex/Merc only. No ATF+4.

Drain and fill. About 3.5 qts. Measure what comes out, put in the same amount back...and do it every 100 miles or so to get the fluid back to red.

The fluid does turn brown over time...after 30 or 40K. Which means it's time to change it out.

I had a bad feeling it was burnt I'll most likely change it out and wire up the manual shifting setup and see how much longer I can go without a rebuild. Luckily the rebuild isn't real expensive just gotta make it last a couple more weeks. Thanks for the info

TV cable needs adjustment more than ikely.To adjust press tab down on the cable at the T body,pull cable all the way back then pull linkage to full throttle at the T body.It will "click" in to the correct position.

Back