• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 NP242 SYE leaking ATF

/ZexGX

NAXJA Forum User
The SYE on my NP242 is leaking ATF from the rear after a quick Simple Green (it's old) and I'm wondering if I need to pull the entire tcase to remove the SYE to regasket it on a bench (upright) or if I can just unbolt the allen head bolts on the SYE and reseal the part where it meets the case with some Right Stuff without removing the tcase from the crossmember. Any advice?

I'll post a picture of the SYE (hopefully the leak is visible) after I get home, in a couple hours. Thanks for the quick response. I believe it's a hack-n-tap type and I think it's leaking from where the hack-n-tap meets the rear output shaft housing.

Last edited:
That little spot looks like its weeping out the bolt hole. That is one of the places mine leaks, and I have to plug the hole to make it stop. Pull the bolt out, put some black RTV on the end, and reinstall.

I'll try that, but I always figured it was leaking from where the red billet aluminum meets the aluminum case. If RTV'ing the bolt doesn't fix, is it possible to easily unbolt and remove the red piece, or is that something best done on a bench?

The other end of those bolts is in the fluid, and there is enough slop in there for the fluid to ride up the bolt threads to freedom. It could be getting off the elevator at the seal wall and working out through there.

I don't know about that setup in particular but on my SYE the red aluminum thing (on yours) is just held on with the bolts and sealant. I would remove the hardware and use a putty knife to break the seal, spread a 1/8" bead of Right Stuff and smear it with your finger like spreading jelly, put some more on the bolt threads, and reassembly loosely, go have a beer, then come back and tighten it down.

Yes, the tailcone replacement is easy to remove. Just pull the yoke, remove the 3-bolts, clean up the surface of both sides and do what ehall said with the bolt/s.
Maybe consider replacing the seal while you are there? Should be only a few dollars from your local parts store.

Also, the output shaft needs a liberal amount of RTV on the splines after you put the red housing on. Or put a bunch inside the yoke splines. That is required to seal everything as well

Back