• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

timing cover gasket replacement

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
the fel pro timing cover kit comes with oil seal and gasket and notes that oil pan gasket is also needed. why is the oil pan gasket also needed? is it a design of the fel pro gasket? i will probably do the oil pan and RMS also, but not sure i will do it all at once.

the fel pro timing cover kit comes with oil seal and gasket and notes that oil pan gasket is also needed. why is the oil pan gasket also needed? is it a design of the fel pro gasket? i will probably do the oil pan and RMS also, but not sure i will do it all at once.

When you pull the timing chain cover this is what you'll see (pic below). The oil pan gasket incorporates the seal for under the timing chain cover.

If you want to keep the oil pan gasket in place and only replace the timing chain cover gasket, make sure the old oil pan gasket is clean, and apply RTV to the edges of the mating surfaces at the junction of the block and the pan.

DSCF2713.jpg

Back