• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion seal and U-joint purchasing help

Laneinator

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I'm trying to order some pinion seals for my 99 XJ. It has a dana 30 front and 35 rear. Both are leaking from the pinion seal.

Im getting all kinds of conflicting data when I try and search dana 35 or 30 pinion seal. Most places say this will not fit my car. Is this just some mistake?

Same thing goes for when I search spicer 5-1310x on amazon. It says it wont fit when searching here says it will.

Does anyone have pinion seal part numbers or an online store they like dealing with?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Adam

If shopping on Amazon, Yukon YMS5778 is the correct HP D30 pinion seal.

You can go to ring pinion.com and look up your axle to find the correct D35 seal. I have not bought one and don't have the number handy.

5-1310X are the correct u-joints for the front driveshaft. They are also good in the rear if you have an auto trans. I believe the manual trannys use 5-1330X u-joints in the rear shaft.

I would caution that if you have leaky pinion seals that you may have slop in the pinion which will cause a new seal to leak as well. Also, make sure the yoke is not grooved which would also cause problems with new seals.

For the driveshaft u-joints, they tend to last a very long time, at least when running at good angles. The front takes a centering ball and seal at the double cardan end.

Back