• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tracbar question

lukc22

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 xj country... I replaced the tracbar, but there still seems to be an issue with it... when turning, the bar moves at the axle end... the bolt going through the mount doesnt move and the hole wasnt "ovaled" out... it seems that the sleeve and bushing are larger than the bolt maybe??? Its giving me more play in the steering than i would like... any ideas or fixes on this??? Thanks guys!!

Tighten the bolt.

Ummm yeah.... the bolt is tight.... the bolt doesnt move.... it seems like the sleeve is too big... i am hoping that "tighten the bolt" was just a failed attempt at humor, and not a real answer....

I replaced it with auto store new one... i am going to lift it and get an adjustable then... i know that I can get a new and larger bolt/nut and drill out the holes on the axle bracket.... but i was looking for any other ideas... when turning back and forth, the jeep body moves and then the tires turn... feels like alot of slop... all of the tre's are new moog.... thank u for any constructive ideas...

Sounds like you need to drop the trackbar and try the bolt in the trackbar without the axle, and see how it fits, as well as the back half of the axle bracket.

Find out whats loose and fix it.

It is a special bolt, the threads are SAE and the shank is metric (non standard size). If you put a standard SAE bolt in there you have play. Or maybe I'm bassackwords, all I really remember is it is a special bolt and not standard.

OK... So you think it would be easier to step up the bolt size than to correct the sleeve size? The reason I ask is that when I get an adj tb, im pretty sure that the bushing sleeve would be stock size.... In that case I will have to make that sleeve match the larger bolt somehow...

With the jeep sitting in grass, turning the wheel backnforth, should there be any play at thay spot? Im new to XJ's, but it seems like there shouldnt be play....

A lot of the aftermarket ones have you drill that hole out to a larger size and use a 1/2" bolt.

...not all of them mind you, don't start drilling until you're commited.

for now, figure out whats loose and fix it

It is a special bolt, the threads are SAE and the shank is metric (non standard size). If you put a standard SAE bolt in there you have play. Or maybe I'm bassackwords, all I really remember is it is a special bolt and not standard.

Reflecting a little I may be thinking of my YJ. Been a long time, I do remember measuring the threads and the shank with a vernier caliper any coming up with some odd/surprising results. They may have changed that bolt and size for the XJ.

When in doubt measure, vernier calipers are handy, I have two. I also have a set of thread gauges (metric and SAE) and a set of thread files (metric and SAE). A few tools you may use seldom, but can make life Oh! so much easier.

Should the bolt be tight inside the bushing sleeve??? I would think that it needs to be a tight fit... I dont remember it being a tight fit at all... I didnt pay much attention since it was new... I just figured it was the right size.... thats what i get for assuming...

Ummm yeah.... the bolt is tight.... the bolt doesnt move.... it seems like the sleeve is too big... i am hoping that "tighten the bolt" was just a failed attempt at humor, and not a real answer....
How many ft-lbs?

The bolts are not an interference fit. You need to clamp the bracket down onto the bushing sleeve.

I don't have my manuals at my desk to verify any specifications. Use OE grade hardware, or better, then torque to spec.

Well, "New" parts can be defective. Take it back and get a new one and try again.
Or, buy a better aftermarket TB, and take it back.

Back