• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mount For Mobile Phone

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ Classic Up Country.

So, I want to mount my phone so it peeks over the dash and can record like a dashcam while it's in the cradle.

I'm wanting to use a Ram Mount X-Grip

I'm planning on mounting the ball in the empty panel to the right of the gauge panel and directly above the cigarette lighter.

If I properly size the holes, will machine screws work to mount the base? If not, what is the best way to get at the back of that panel?

Thanks

I have had a similar idea. But not for putting it to record. Just because it's the best spot in the XJ to mount a phone holder.

Personally I think machine screws may hold it. But I would feel far more comfortable with taking it off and doing it properly.

I bought one with a suction cup mount and an adhesive backed mounting plate. Works on windshield or with the plate mounted to flat spot on top of dash. A bit less intrusive than tearing the dash out

I use a suction mount on the windshield for my phone on the left side, but I don't think there is the opening on the older ones. My iPad mount is mounted to where the head unit used to me with a Ram X-grip mount. I took a thin piece of ABS plastic and JB welded it to the hole and mounted the Rammount to that. I used some black allen head screws from Lowe's and some fender washers on the backside with nuts to spread out the load a little more.

Also, it looks like your oil pressure sender should be changed.

Back