• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front-mounted Tow Hooks

tV8bird

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, guys...

First, my apologies. I know the subject has come up over and over again, but that's part of the problem. I don't know where to begin! I've read a few of the other threads on the subject.

One problem is that the information is old. HiCountry is no longer around, and they seemed to be the favorite...

I want recovery hooks in the front of my '00 XJ Limited.

She's pretty. So I'm not putting any ugly aftermarket bumpers in the front.

Like most pretty girls, she's OK with getting dirty from time to time, though:shhh: (haha)

Anyway, here's my difficult criteria:

• I want the hooks strong
  • I want them to use factory holes; no drilling
  • I want them to peek out of the factory slots in the plastic valance
  • if possible, I'd like them to open sideways rather than facing down, unless there's a clip involved (I suppose that's easier to make myself than the rest of the parts, if need-be...I have plenty of tin plate available if I need)
  • I want them to be stronger than the OEM ones that are now hard to find, anyway (the similar Rugged Ridge ones don't get a hot user review)
So, am I asking too much?

By the way, I've already looked into the front hitch; I saw that holes are required for the Draw-Tite and that the others hang too low, so I'm not loving that idea, and the mount shown by Iron Rock Off Road also requires cutting away plastic, so I'm not crazy about that.

Unlike a lot of you, I love a factory appearance with an added capability, so please don't jam up the thread with suggestions for things like aftermarket bumpers, thanks.

I used stock tow hook brackets, and built some D-Ring brackets. I think Rusty's used to sell something similar. I wouldn't be that difficult to build exactly what you need using some DIY bumper brackets.

Stock tow hook brackets are not that rare, I have a spare set or two in the shed.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

You could use the Jks steering box brace kit that covers both unibody rails. The kit has tabs that come down off if the chassis and allow hooks to mount sideways. It's a really nice kit.

I would tie the two sides together as well with a piece of 3/16" strap. Without it, any angled pull will bend the stock brackets

I would tie the two sides together as well with a piece of 3/16" strap. Without it, any angled pull will bend the stock brackets

If you get a set of factory tow hooks with all of the brackets, they come with two extra plates to help tie them in for side loading. I really don't see them often though.

I always thought C4x4 was the favorite, I may be dating myself here...

http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html

towhookbrackets.jpg

I saw those, but the installation instructions state that '97+ XJs require the front air dam trimmed or removed...

Is this actually necessary? Or do I just use the brackets and find a longer tow hook? (Do these brackets even line up with the existing slots?)

I just really don't want to waste money buying something that won't work like I want and go through the headache of returning it.

I had all those little brackets. Didn't do much

None of the Factory-type tow hooks are good for much more the a straight pull. A hard pull, at an angle, will bend things unless backed up with reinforcement plates, such as JKS or C-ROKs, on both sides
A front mounted hitch will provide a stronger base to pull from.
http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2000_Jeep_Cherokee.htm
There is a reason why so many run 'ugly' front bumpers.
If you are so concerned about the looks, maybe off-roading isn't such a good idea.
Metal gets bent and scratched and paint ground off, when playing in the dirt and rocks.
Mall crawling is different.

I have the C4x4 hooks and they are pretty stout and if I remember the company was great to deal with. They did require very slight trimming of the plastic piece. I mean very slight, 2 seconds cutting away enough to clear the hooks was all that was needed. All the actual mounting points were spot on, just the plastic trim needed cut to make room, not a big deal at all.

As much as I like my C4x4 hooks and have no problems recommending them highly I wish I had just gone with a hitch in the front.

I saw those, but the installation instructions state that '97+ XJs require the front air dam trimmed or removed...

Is this actually necessary? Or do I just use the brackets and find a longer tow hook? (Do these brackets even line up with the existing slots?)

I just really don't want to waste money buying something that won't work like I want and go through the headache of returning it.

Not necessarily. I did this on my wife's 98 XJ and now on this 2001 XJ. Both times using the C4X4 product. Instead of using the spring clips, I use the air dam to perform that same function. It fits right in the existing slots.

Just push the air dam back out of the way (it's a firm push), slip the recovery strap onto the hook, and let go. The air dam keeps the strap in location all the same as the spring clip does.

Some people like cut up rigs and some people don't. No right or wrong but a clean uncut rig is my preference.

Andy

Have you considered removing the air dam in the center of the bumper then trimming the end caps to match? I don't think it makes the jeep look "hacked up" or cut up at all, it just makes it look less like a station wagon, but obviously YMMV.

If you just cut the air dam off all the way across it still looks clean, and gets the plastic out of the way so you can run whatever you want. I was very happy with the IRO setup until I built a front bumper. And it held the front end together when someone ran a stop sign right in front of me.

Best picture I could find showing my jeep when it was in that stage:

Have you considered removing the air dam in the center of the bumper then trimming the end caps to match? I don't think it makes the jeep look "hacked up" or cut up at all, it just makes it look less like a station wagon, but obviously YMMV.

If you just cut the air dam off all the way across it still looks clean, and gets the plastic out of the way so you can run whatever you want. I was very happy with the IRO setup until I built a front bumper. And it held the front end together when someone ran a stop sign right in front of me.

Best picture I could find showing my jeep when it was in that stage:

I did this with mine before I got a replacement bumper. My factory fog lights were trashed and I thought it looked great with the lower part of the bumper gone.

Not necessarily. I did this on my wife's 98 XJ and now on this 2001 XJ. Both times using the C4X4 product. Instead of using the spring clips, I use the air dam to perform that same function. It fits right in the existing slots.

Just push the air dam back out of the way (it's a firm push), slip the recovery strap onto the hook, and let go. The air dam keeps the strap in location all the same as the spring clip does.

Some people like cut up rigs and some people don't. No right or wrong but a clean uncut rig is my preference.

Andy

I think I like this best so far, and if the hook makes contact with the plastic, I'm OK with that. I can just put something on the air dam in that spot to keep it from getting beaten up with road vibrations, etc. Maybe that adhesive anti-slip used for stair treads--a tiny bit would do it.

Thanks for all the input, guys. And, yeah, I know I'm the oddball trying to stay relatively un-modified. (FYI, it's a 2000 with less than 70k original miles. I'd like to keep it like new, since it is. I'm just a purist in that sense.)

In case there's anyone else interested, I'll post pics when I get around to the execution of this project.

Look at that driver's side hook, it touches. Not quite as hard as the spring clips press the tip of the hook but more than sufficient to keep a rope/strap from coming off the hook.

Andy

Hey, thanks so much for the pics. I think this would be the right way to go for me since I don't do so much off-roading that I need to pull her sideways or should ever be that hopelessly stuck.

Back