• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

through the floor stiffeners...

95silverstallion

NAXJA Forum User
Why don't more guys do rectangular tubing cut through the floor for frame stiffeners instead of plating the outside?

I've found 1 thread about a guy dong it and all the pics are gone.

That sounds like way more work then tried and true methods of plating. Plus, when plated on the outside its easy to weld brackets and stuff too. Otherwise you'd be cutting sheetmetal out of the way just to get to a solid base to build off of. And getting rect tubing to follow all the contours of the rails is gunna be a PITA.

Since the boxing is already there with the cherokee it's easier to just plate it. I know with subframe connectors on race cars they tend to go through the floor since there is nothing but floor there. I went with full through the floor subframe connectors in my mustang that went from the fire wall back to torque boxes.

Since the boxing is already there with the cherokee it's easier to just plate it. I know with subframe connectors on race cars they tend to go through the floor since there is nothing but floor there. I went with full through the floor subframe connectors in my mustang that went from the fire wall back to torque boxes.
That's where my thought process comes from. I too was a mustang guy and my connectors were through the floor firewall to torque boxes also. With the outriggers to the rockers. Huh...I guess I'll have to do some thinking. Or maybe im over thinking

Ahh, I'm doing the same thing with my Nova with 2x3 tubing and making a rear 4 link crossmember. On the XJ platform you already have the shape laid out, just gotta thicken it up a bit to have a solid chassis and base to work off of.

Back