• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone try to permanently form fuel line?

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
I just spent 21 bux for $1.395 of fuel line.

It's for my daughter's TJ. It's 1/2" I.D. fuel line used in the evap system.

It has a permanent "L" shape and probably just under 2" on each leg.

Being that tight, I couldn't just use a left over chunk of fuel line. I'm sure it would probably kink.

Anyone have any luck with this? I'm thinking maybe boiling water or a heat gun? But it would probably have to have some sort of form to cool in and hold it's shape.

Goodyear sells these spring type things that go over a hose, you bend it to the shape you need, then a thin strip of steel down the spring hold the shape. The spring ID is fit to the OD of the hose your bending, preventing any kinks.

They work great, I use them on the 3/4" lines comin out of the water pump/heater core. I'd be surprised if they don't make them in smaller sizes

Upon re reading the
Dimensions, I'm 90% sure you can find that at any parts store with a decent
Variety of hoses,....

They don't work that good. I used a bunch of them trying to bend some air tubing and while they will help a gentle curve they will not prevent folding and crimping on sharp turns.

ps--they are sold by a lot of people, easy to find under the trade name "unicoil"

1/2" ID? What does that make the OD?

Would a copper 90* elbow from the plumbing department be a feasible form? You would have to slice it in half and thoroughly deburr the cut, but a couple of hose clamps would then hold it together while it cooled.

1/2" is probably too small and 3/4" is probably too big, but perhaps if you could find something else with which to sleeve it you might be able to use the 3/4" elbow.

Just my random suggestion without actually getting my hands on the goods.

I've used copper pieces to make custom PCV breather hoses

41PCVBreatherPieces_zps38315db2.jpg

Put a hose clamp on the rubber, superglue the copper, crank down the clamp and count to 10, then finish with some silicone sealant to protect the joint

41PCVBreatherHose_zpsc1433720.jpg

find a piece of steel tubing like brake line with an OD close to the ID you need. put it inside the soft line and use a tubing bender to bend it in place. you could probably get it to bend a 90 without kinking if the inside radius is supported somehow.
i've never done it, but i cant see why it wouldn't work. maybe try to 45s in close proximity if a single 90 doesnt do it.

this place lists the process.

sol.4q02_hosemfg.gif

so apparently the shape is formed after the hose is constructed. I don't see why you coldn't form it over some soft copper and then boil it for a few minutes, remove and let cool.
Would certainly take some trial and error to get the right temp/time to cook it for.

Back