• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery temp sensor wire colors?

erykv1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA,

I recently acquired a jeep that had a CEL for the battery temp sensor. I went ahead and bought a new sensor to replace... but to my surprise, the whole harness leading up to the sensor is missing.

I would like to reconnect it to the engine harness, but I'm not sure what color the battery temp sensor wires should be (there are more cut wires up at the engine harness i found... go figure).

Can anyone shine some light on this issue? I'd like to get this fixed in the near future.

Thanks!

Last edited:
oops, sorry. i assumed that everyone knew that only the 00-01 XJ's had battery temp sensors.

1. Year: 2001
2. Engine: 4.0L
3. Transmission: Auto

there are differences between the 00 and 01.

what was posted sidewinder is correct.

list out what other color wires you've got cut in the harness.
I will look in the FSM and tell you what circuits they be.

Last edited:
oops, sorry. i assumed that everyone knew that only the 00-01 XJ's had battery temp sensors.

1. Year: 2001
2. Engine: 4.0L
3. Transmission: Auto

I thought I would be helpful and offer some pics...but it might not be of much help for you. Nonetheless, having taken them I will put them here in the event someone finds themselves looking for the same thing.

This is the uber-custom P.O. battery temp sending system on my '96. It is a bit easier to get pictures of this because all I have to do is pop the hood and pull this fancy bit of work out of the inner fender where it magically measures the battery temperature. :doh:

At any rate, the wire colors should be correct for a '96. I think. If they didn't use too much variety of wire color in '96. :wow:

XJBattTempWiring1OPT.jpg

XJBattTempWiring2OPT.jpg

XJBattTempWiring3OPT.jpg

XJBattTempWiring4OPT.jpg

So it appears on my '96 they are pink with a yellow stripe and black with a turquoise stripe.

Brown/Yellow tracer (to sensor ground network).

Pink/Yellow tracer (to PCM C3/pin C15- Battery Temp Sensor Signal).

Thanks!!

there are differences between the 00 and 01.

what was posted sidewinder is correct.

list out what other color wires you've got cut in the harness.
I will look in the FSM and tell you what circuits they be.

I thought I would be helpful and offer some pics...but it might not be of much help for you. Nonetheless, having taken them I will put them here in the event someone finds themselves looking for the same thing.

This is the uber-custom P.O. battery temp sending system on my '96. It is a bit easier to get pictures of this because all I have to do is pop the hood and pull this fancy bit of work out of the inner fender where it magically measures the battery temperature. :doh:

At any rate, the wire colors should be correct for a '96. I think. If they didn't use too much variety of wire color in '96. :wow:

So it appears on my '96 they are pink with a yellow stripe and black with a turquoise stripe.

I wasnt aware there were battery temp sensors in the 96's.

Thank you guys :) I'll keep this thread updated.

Back