• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle tube leak

ThejeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj with a stock dana 30 and their is gear oil coming from the end of the axle by the wheel can anyone tell me what has happened

Its probably a $5 part for the seal. Then however much you want to spend on gear oil.

1. remove dif cover and drain fluid
2. remove bolt/pin out of center of dif.
3. remove wheel and brake drum. give the end of the axle a wack to move it in a tad
4. pull c clip off end of axle in side the dif housing
5. pull axle out and replace seal
6.repeat in reverse for reinstallation

Its probably a $5 part for the seal. Then however much you want to spend on gear oil.

1. remove dif cover and drain fluid
2. remove bolt/pin out of center of dif.
3. remove wheel and brake drum. give the end of the axle a wack to move it in a tad
4. pull c clip off end of axle in side the dif housing
5. pull axle out and replace seal
6.repeat in reverse for reinstallation

I don't think this is going to work on a D 30 front axle.Do you?

Try this, it may help you. I used it to do mine.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937821
Grimm's write-up is very good

Seal part number is 710068 (National and Timken both) for all XJs

After you buy the seal, buy a long section of PVC pipe that fits in the hole. You can use that one piece of pipe to drive the old seals out, and to drive the new ones in (the trick is to get a piece of tubing that fits through the seal on the opposing side)

Grimm's write-up is very good

Seal part number is 710068 (National and Timken both) for all XJs

After you buy the seal, buy a long section of PVC pipe that fits in the hole. You can use that one piece of pipe to drive the old seals out, and to drive the new ones in (the trick is to get a piece of tubing that fits through the seal on the opposing side)

Why did he remove the front driveshaft? I don't remember that being needed.

Back