• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil change schedule on rebuilt engine?

jhc7399

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious what everyone thought about changing the oil on a rebuilt engine. I am up around 100 miles since install. Used basic Mobil conventional with zinc new motor additive first time. I normally run Rotella t6, should I put that in on this change or stick with conventional awhile?

I recommend 300-500 miles for the first oil change and conventional oil until 5k miles. After that run what you want, synth, synth blend or conventional.

I would run the non-synthetic non-detergent break in oil until the rings seat. Otherwise you may run into problems.

yes, first change at 3-500 and conventional plus a zddp additive till the next change. Lucas makes a great engine break in additive.

I used Mobil 1 conventional with an additive the re builder gave me on the first oil.

I plan on changing this weekend and will have 200-300, I will stick with Mobil 1 and try the Lucas additive.

Thanks for the info guys!

I used Mobil 1 conventional with an additive the re builder gave me on the first oil.

I plan on changing this weekend and will have 200-300, I will stick with Mobil 1 and try the Lucas additive.

Thanks for the info guys!
Make sure the rings are seated before you switch to Mobil 1.

I am a Rotella fan in a big way, ran it in my Cat 3406 for years and it didn't need any major work untill well after 700k miles. Lucky for me the owner of the XJ I just bought ran Rotella T 15w-40 all its life and it has 177k on it now and it runs smooth and quiet. It is the only oil that still has 1200 ppm zinc. So I personly will stick with it until Shell quits making it

During break in you should notice blue smoke under hard acceleration. I have always been able to tell when the rings start to seat due to the increase in power.

If you just have to battle your OCD and change the oil, change it to another round of non-detergent oil and run it till at least 1000 miles.

Change @ 100,500,1000 & every 5000 after that.

That is about what I did on my stroker. I now have well over 100k on the stroker.

I also run a Frantz Toilet Paper oil filter.

Just do normal oil changes. I change at 500 then after that start your normal regimen. No comebacks yet on mine or customer vehicles. The days of the non-detergent oil break in are pretty much over in my shop...

Back