• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermediate shaft bushing/bearing replacement

redman

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a vacuum disconnect axle into my 1998 XJ for the 4.10 gears. At the same time I installed a Posi Lock. The Posi Lock will stay engaged after numerous adjustments. I talked to there tech support who said it sounded as if there was to much play in the intermediate shaft and I need replace the intermediate shaft bushing.

Anyone have a "how to" to replace these? Also anything else I should replace while I am in there (although I just did the axle seals)?

If it's what I'm remembering, I don't see how the operation of the Posi-Lock would be affected by the intermediate shaft bushing. IIRC, it's the bearing/bushing between the 2 inner shafts.

You could swap the axle shafts with the ones from your old '98 axle for a 260 to 760 conversion and get rid of the vacuum disconnect all together. There are at least 5 threads which cover the conversion in some detail, so I won't.

Back