• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Head for 00 4.0

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I have a cracked TUPY head in my 00. Need a new one. Dont want to swap to an older one and deal with the differences. I once read that a shop makes one that's a direct swap that won't crack, and another post said 03 and 04 heads from 4.0 GC'S were fixed.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Did you swap heads before? The TUPY head is the updated 0663 head, look through the oil fill and if its a TUPY it should have it on the head in between the rockers.

I didnt, but I bought it a couple years ago and the previous owner had the motor rebuilt. It is 100% a TUPY head.
I guess I will just get another. Maybe the question should be ... anyone have a reputable vendor to order from? I mean, there is one on ebay for $375, but I would pay more from a place with a solid track record.

Did you verify it was a TUPY cast into the head?

Some of the engine rebuilders out there just use the 0331 heads that come in with cores since some don't crack. Jasper engines even denied that the 0331 heads even crack, and that none of their rebuilt motors would have this problem. :doh: So being a rebuild doesn't mean it will have the improved casting.

'02-'06 4.0s have the TUPY casting head from the factory. Clearwater cylinder out of Florida makes NEW 0331 heads that are beefed up in the crack prone areas. I have swapped a few of these onto 2000 and 2001 4.0s and they have worked well.

When I did the head on my 01 XJ this spring, I got one off eBay from Dover Cylinder Head in Panama City, Fla. They don't always have them and I missed the first head. IIRC someone else on here outbid me. I messaged them and they said they would have anohter in a week or two. They did and I got it. I've put about 15,000 miles on it so far and zero problems.

The other option is get away from the 0331 and use an older, better flowing head. It would require an aftermarket header and DIY brackets to hold the coil rail.
Yours is the first TUPY head I have heard of cracking. They are supposed to be the "improved'"castings.

Yeah, I am wondering how and where this head cracked? What evidence of a head crack is there, vs head gasket issue?

Back