• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling/clicking noise identification

jp1981

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

I recently picked up a 98 XJ 4.0

Yesterday for the first time I took her out into the mountains. As soon as I got to the first tricky part and engaged her to 4wd low I heard this rattling/clicking sound when going uphill. When going downhill it would disappear.

Today I took her for a normal drive and after about 10-20km this rattling/clicking would appear and disappear. It's not consistent. However, it's there when I turn the steering wheel left and right. It's seems to do it more when steering left. And it seems it only appears once the jeep has been driven for a while and got warm. I have attached a video with the sound.
Does anyone know what this could be?

Also I have a knocking noise when hitting bumps on the right hand side. Even small bumps on a tar road. The knocking noise appears on the right hand side.
I jumped under the jeep and noticed the rear left back shock is pushed in more. View the pics attached. The jeep also sags to the right when behind it, I'd says 3/4cm. Could the rear shock be busted? Could that explain the knocking sound? New leafs have been installed and I was told that the sagging is due to the leafs as they need to settle in.

Thanks in advance.

1998 XJ

Mods:
4.5 Inch Long Arm Suspension
New Johnny Joints, Heim Joints and Bushings.
New BDS Leafs and Bushings
Rear Disc Brake conversion
Bored out Throttle Body
3 Row Radiator Upgrade
Larger Autobox Cooler
Front Diff Strutted
Drop Pit Man Arm and Adjustable Track bar

https://vimeo.com/115592105

cc9fc287a356daf9f504eb8180f0b58e.jpg

0e589e36def894911d548f1c0ee7547a.jpg

Knocking sound could be the exhaust hitting the crossmember. This can be made worse by a busted/worn out driver's side motor mount.

The other sound could be a stretched chain in the tcase. Make sure and check the fluid level in the tcase as well.

A shock will not cause sag. The shocks look fine from what I can see. The curve in the red bellows is normal.

Check your track bar on the front, wiggle it up and down, most of the rattles from going over bumps is this. As far as the clicking in 4wd you need to check your ujoints for wear.

Knocking sound could be the exhaust hitting the crossmember. This can be made worse by a busted/worn out driver's side motor mount.

The other sound could be a stretched chain in the tcase. Make sure and check the fluid level in the tcase as well.

A shock will not cause sag. The shocks look fine from what I can see. The curve in the red bellows is normal.

Thanks, will check the exhaust.

The shock is pushed in more on the right side. I will swap the leafs around and see if that eliminates it. as they were new and only installed recently.

The tcase fluid has been exchanged recently too. But will have a look again.

Check your track bar on the front, wiggle it up and down, most of the rattles from going over bumps is this. As far as the clicking in 4wd you need to check your ujoints for wear.

When I hit bumps it doesn't rattle, it's a knocking sound. It feels like it could be directly under my feet. Keep in mind, my jeep is a right hand drive :)

Will have a look at the u joints. Track bar is solid l. No movement when wiggling.

Thanks gents

Clicking sound when turning is a sign of worn cv joints. 2 things, maybe front axle u joints or front drive shaft u joints. Your gonna need a pry bar to wedge in there and pry gentle to see u joint movement. My front drive shaft had no movement but when I took it out the center joint was toast, dust for bearings. Look for a u joint cup that looks rusty.

Knocking of the trac bar usually happens with the upper heim joint wears out. Pry up in that area see if there is play by the top joint.

I had a knocker from transmission mount gone bad but that would do it when accelerating. So a motor mount is not out of the question either.

Back