• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No low beams

SlugBug

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure what could be causing this, but I was getting ready to leave my buddy's place and I turned on my headlights and as soon as I turned them on they both went out. All dash lights still work and marker lights, but no headlights. We looked around for a bit but it was dark and we tried the high beams and those work so we just decided to have me drive home with my high beams on and it just got away from me to log on here and ask some opinions as to why both headlight low beams would go out, find it an odd possibility that both headlights would go bad simultaneously. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

Oh and my rig is a '93 XJ Sport 4.0

Sometimes one has gone out earlier but you didn't notice until the second one did.

However, in a pre-97 XJ, a prime suspect here is the connector in the harness that you will find just forward of the air box. It is very susceptible to corrosion, and if the low beam terminal gets dirty, corroded, or (not so uncommon) rots right off, then there you will be, no lights. Find that terminal and unplug it and lubricate it and check for voltage. You can simply wire a bypass for any plug pins that have rotted off, but if they're just corroded you can usually lube them up and restore them with a few repeated plug in and out cycles.

electrical contact cleaner, such as Radio Shack tuner cleaner, works well for this.

When my 96 did that it was the low-high selector switch. In the beginning I could switch low-high a few times and the lows would come on again for awhile.

Try half a dozen low-high cycles through the switch and see what happens.

Eventually the switch would heat up and shut my lows off randomly, my guess is the switch internals were acting like a bi-metal.

Back