• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High IAT, clogged precats?

jls095

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to have the California emissions package on my 2000 with the precats.

I recently got a ScanGauge and have been keeping an eye on my IAT readings. When driving on the highway, temps are 20 or so degrees above ambient. When I'm stopped or in traffic, IAT temps rise really quickly. No doubt this is aided by the precats being right under the intake. I have LeBaron hood vents, which help vent the heat being produced.

A few days ago I was nearly stopped for 15 minutes and the IAT rose to - and then leveled off at - 160 degrees. The ambient was 30 degrees or so. That IAT seems really high given that the ambient was low... kind of worried what it will be in the summer.

Any opinions if this reflects clogged precats?

My scan gauge shows similar temps under the hood on my 2000 with pre-cats that are only a year old. As long as you don't feel a significant loss of power or have any codes you should be fine.

Awesome guys, thanks. Would be interesting to know how much heat the precats add. I wonder what IAT temps looks like for a Federal emissions XJ.

Back