• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Freedom... Project Chewie

Rocjeepn

NAXJA Forum User
This is my new to me '00 XJ Solar Yellow Freedom Edition. Original AZ Jeep with 204k miles. She will be going from stock worn rig to a weekend warrior, but still looking clean enough to take to cruise night. This is my 18th Jeep I have owned, but my first dive into modified XJ territory. Found it at a little used car dealer in Peoria AZ with a few moans, a lotta leaks, and needing some TLC. But with zero rust, and what appeared to be a strong motor, went for a test drive.

c0bbbee77bb8a6030d36a6b7b2816b1d.jpg

8d32787a686e1117cc6ecef4cabaa10c.jpg

After a little haggling it was purchased and I took it home.

Last edited:
Now let me say that yellow was NOT my first choice, but trying to find a clean, unbeaten, unmolested XJ is not the easiest of tasks... Unless you wanna spend high dollars. But the yellow has really grown on me. With everyone and their mother going black trim and wheels these days, I decided to go a different route. I have always been fond of the Limited and Classic XJ look, so that is what we are planning.

Last edited:
My good friend had a budget boost 2" lift laying around so we threw that in right away to give me some slight lift for now. And I also picked up a chrome grille and bezels to replace the chipped, cracked black ones. Next step is to find some colored stock flares to paint yellow to match.

66c36439fbd88614cac87e0a24bf721d.jpg

Now to start tackling the mechanical issues. It moans worse now with 2" lift. It is a non consistent loud groan from the front end only above 25mph. Sounds like Chewbacca my wife said. Lol. Hence the name of my XJ was now found.. Chewie. Started with the usual suspects.. Flex plate, transfer case shifter bushings, among other things. All those were good with no issues. Couldn't find it... And it was gradually getting worse. With the help of my bud on a lift, we found the transfer case mount broken and the bolts falling out. Nope. That wasn't it. Found the exhaust below the manifold rubbing the oil pan. Thought for sure that was it. Nope. Motor mounts new and that didn't fix it. At this point we put it up on the lift in gear running 30mph and boom.. There it was. Output shaft bearing allowing the rear drive shaft to wobble around!! And upon further inspection, found the universal joint on the front driveshaft was frozen in place as well! New u joint and bearings and the moans are now gone!! Hopefully this may help someone else who has this issue.

Now onto the leaking engine. Pulled the oil pan, installed new rear main, front seal, oil pan gasket and pulled the timing chain cover as well. Glad we did, found the plastic guide cracked and missing a chunk. The engine itself is amazingly clean with no sludge, scoring or even carbon build up! Even the engine techs at the dealer were shocked just how clean and new it looked! Rebuild done already?? Score one for me!

71d9ef064fc32a9c8133b534007a6191.jpg

0b422236cdd9d15d22b20ce1e326cf54.jpg

Did a complete end to end inspection, found new alternator, power steering gear box, and starter already recently replaced. All brakes excellent. Replaced diff fluids and resealed covers for now until I replace them.

That's okay, you have him on aesthetics. Keep the clean look going. :cheers:

Thanks man. Most appreciated. My 4.5" RC lift is now on along with my 265-75-16 Cordovan Mud Claws. It came with full rear leaf pack, front upper lower adjustable control arms and coils, TC drop, quick disco's, and adjustable track bars and shocks. In total, I added roughly 6 inches of lift over stock. That was the before photo. I am now taller.

Here is a better photo with the lift and tires on. Also installed all the yellow flares after painting them in the garage. Bought and installed the factory lettering, but still need the freedom decals. Removed the stock black front and rear bumpers and rear corners.

1efadefb6ba0e002e75f6fbfcc4fc4bb.jpg

Very clean XJ! I love the Classic/Limited look as well. Those Rubicon wheels look great on it.

Picked up a set of painted rear corners. Also grabbed a solid square tube rear bumper with welded in mounts for d rings off eBay. It is designed to be used with the stock corners. Test fitting it before powder coating...

48493a2fc828a37e0b489ef3af275d38.jpg

c9af5eaada3db5c323b6c880f8a78a7c.jpg

Very clean XJ! I love the Classic/Limited look as well. Those Rubicon wheels look great on it.

Thanks! They really look good and have perfect back spacing to run the tires I have. Had it out wheeling fully tucking the tires and only had to trim just the inner front corners so they didn't hit. Still have to check the rears now that I have the corners on.

looks good, but personally i think it looked better ghosted out.

Everyone does that though. There are 5 lifted XJs in the surrounding towns here, all of them have the same black wheels and black grille.

Everyone does that though. There are 5 lifted XJs in the surrounding towns here, all of them have the same black wheels and black grille.

X2. I used to be on the black steelie bandwagon. But so many people already have that look covered. I now prefer the super stock look.
7a90f562495663df712d52cb5a0e5dbd.jpg

Looking good mang. Keep it up.

Back