• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange turn signal issue

Briman2021

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a strange issue with my turn signals since I started driving my Cherokee after a few months of not driving it.

Both turn signals work, but both have their own weird issues, all the bulbs are stock replacements, and all in good condition.

My left blinker will work if I push the stalk all the way down so it "clicks" and stays down on its own, but won't blink all the time if I press it down manually but don't "click" it into place.

My right blinker is the opposite, it doesn't blink if I "click" it down, but it works fine if I just hold it down.

Anybody ever run into an issue like this?

year of your XJ would help.

if it's a 97+ replace the multi-function switch assembly, they are known for taking a crap and doing all kinds of weird stuff.

year of your XJ would help.

if it's a 97+ replace the multi-function switch assembly, they are known for taking a crap and doing all kinds of weird stuff.

That's what I'm thinking too. Occasionally get that with my '98 and IIRC the part was $160 new from the dealer when I asked a few years ago, same with the click spring. I asked what it would cost to swap it out at that time (Dad still has no interest in us attempting that since an airbag is involved) and that dealer wanted around $300 in labor. Never checked with the one I bought my Chrysler through though.

I have replaced mine in 98 and you do not have to mess with airbag.
just remove steering column cover screws are on the bottom and will need torx bit to remove switch assembly

My '98 took a Sprite from an outside source, ceased to work afterwards. You may be able to find one at a Pay-Pull route, or JY local to you. I replaced mine with 2 separate switches. For the turn signal used a SPDT switch. Hazards used a DPDT switch. The original flasher unit works, and could be used to place Hazard and Turn signal lamps on other vehicles also, i.e. Motorcycle ATV.

Back