• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issue

KelticTJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for so thought I would post up. XJ is a 2000 4.0, AW4. My XJ has started fine/normal in the warmer months but lately since it has gotten colder it has had a lot of trouble turning over, then completely died on me yesterday. I thought it was the battery because I had a crappy Duralast in there so I swapped it out with a Platinum 34/78 along with new terminals. That didn't do it. It has power and all electronics work, it just won't turn over. No click or anything. I originally thought it might be the NSS but I'm thinking it is the alternator or starter itself because it was starting fine before it got cold. I'm going to smack the starter and see if that works. Any ideas? It's just sitting in a parking lot at work at the moment. Thanks a lot.

Ryan

Battery was 12.7, forgot to check with the starter cranking. I had a buddy smack the starter while I was trying to turn it over and it kicked on a little bit which it wasn't doing at all before. I think it may be the starter which looks to be original.

I just bought a 1994 that has the same issues as you describe. After doing everything you have done, we bypassed the NSS and I've been driving it every day.

Last edited:
Battery was 12.7, forgot to check with the starter cranking. I had a buddy smack the starter while I was trying to turn it over and it kicked on a little bit which it wasn't doing at all before. I think it may be the starter which looks to be original.

Check voltage to the starter is what I was trying to get at. One lead on battery negative, the other on power at the starter solenoid. Smacking the starter and it going does lead one to believe it may be at fault but test not guess.

I just bought a 1994 that has the same issues as you describe. After doing everything you have done, we bypassed the NSS and I've been driving it every day.

Do your reverse lights work after bypassing it?

Check voltage to the starter is what I was trying to get at. One lead on battery negative, the other on power at the starter solenoid. Smacking the starter and it going does lead one to believe it may be at fault but test not guess.

Got ya. I'll check that out next and post back. Thanks

Wanted to report back. I ran a test lead from the starter to the battery and the starter was shot. I replaced it and I'm back up and running. I appreciate everyone's help and input! :cheers:

Back