• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FYI - problem with NAPA control arm bushings

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

I was replacing the axle bushings in my 97 XJ and tried the NAPA Chassis bushings. I would NOT recommend them to anyone! The website shows them as Clevite similar to MOOG, Master Pro, etc. but they are some kind of Chinese junk! They flanged end used to press the bushing in is so thin and brittle it two chunks broke off.

O'Reilly's Master Pro (house brand) for $9.99 with lifetime warranty works fine as is probably the best price you will find. They look nearly identical to the MOOG bushings. One difference is the inner sleeve on the MOOG is wider and has bumps to center the bolt properly. I am not sure this is worth any extra money. Just coat the bolt with anti seize to prevent it from rusting to the bushing sleeve.

Hope this helps someone.

I will also say that NAPA Chassis control arms, O'Reilly's Master Pro control arms are made in China. It's even prominently etched into the NAPA arm.

If you want Made in U.S.A. or at least in the same hemisphere, try MOOG or the dealer.

That's too bad, my experience with NAPA has been very good. While I can't attest to the quality of each and every part they sell, It seems like their computerized system (that somebody in the background has set up) works really well including pics of the item and everything.

That mast have sucked though, doing a major job twice is a wicked hassle.

My point being, consider giving NAPA a second chance, I think they are really good

I have been buying my NAPA parts from the same counterman for the last 14 years. He said more of their parts are coming from China. It is sad to see NAPA offering parts that are no better than the crappy Chinese "Lifetime Warranty" parts available at the other big name auto parts stores. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

I buy lots of parts at NAPA. I will continue to buy stuff from them, just not bushings. I like their Steeing parts, fuel pumps, bearings, ...

I have been buying my NAPA parts from the same counterman for the last 14 years. He said more of their parts are coming from China. It is sad to see NAPA offering parts that are no better than the crappy Chinese "Lifetime Warranty" parts available at the other big name auto parts stores. Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.
I have heard the same, but to the effect that the low-line parts are the ones to avoid. If you are quoted two wildly different prices, ask to see the parts side by side.

Their main line/ premium parts are the same. From what I've seen its primarily parts mostly rubber such as motor mounts and bushings. Their brakes lines are China too but I haven't seen any problems with those. Some parts are good, some are not. I'm always cautious of low grade rubber and low grade steel. I recall the Dorman shackle bolts that felt like aluminum but a magnet stuck to them. They went back!

napa's cheap bushings are definitely lower quality than the similar priced o'reily bushings. changing UCA bushings is enough of a pita to justify spending the extra coin to insure you're not re-doing them too soon.

Back