• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts service life?

mechbullxj

NAXJA Forum User
Neutral Safety Switch is done. Looking at the date code appears to be a 1992 part. 22 years and now retired for good, I'll get it a silver watch, for the 16 years it worked on the '98 I've owned. The wiring looked toasted at the connector. How have you NAXJA XJ's owners done with longevity parts wise? I can't imagine running this '98 another sixteen years, who knows.

28 years on my 87 this Thanksgiving. Low miles 132k, replaced the TPS, CPS just went out. I'm on my second water pump, but that's it. Ever see those pictures of Havana with the 54 Chevy's? Our XJ's are the new 54 Chevy's:)

XJs will last a long time. IMO they're on that threshold of being easy running fuel injected computer controlled ect but still very easy to work on and the overall setup is very simple. Parts last a long time generally and with normal use and half way decent maintenance (and not living in the rust belt) there's no reason you couldn't pass this jeep down to your kid's kids.

If it's all rusted out then its a goner.

If you don't mind rebuilding certain systems it will last a LONG time.

My 01 XJ has 324,000 and got its first steering/uspension rebuild this year. Prior to that it was shocks and one track bar. Mostly it needs brake pads, shocks, and batteries. I keep the fluids clean. Change the coolant and thermostat every year or two.

Well, many parts have long lives, but I will mention that when I damaged the manual transmission in my 99 trying to get through urban traffic without a clutch, and reverse started getting iffy around 250 thousand miles, I took the box out of my recently retired 95, which had over 260 thousand on it, and that box was still working fine when I sold the 99 with over 275 on it.

Rust is the real enemy here in Vermont.

The Neutral Safety Switch A.K.A. Transmission Range Selector, is being replaced because I'm not able to start. I could manual turn the range selector, by hand and see the back up lamps. Also turning the selector to Park and Neutral, and then turning the ignition to "start" the engine will crank, although not fire. Does 16 to 22 years seem exceptional for a part like this? When should I expect to change shift solenoids with in the AW-4? Thnxs. I know replacing parts is routine maintenance, trying to keep ahead of the next repair and or replace items.

The Neutral Safety Switch A.K.A. Transmission Range Selector, is being replaced because I'm not able to start. I could manual turn the range selector, by hand and see the back up lamps. Also turning the selector to Park and Neutral, and then turning the ignition to "start" the engine will crank, although not fire. Does 16 to 22 years seem exceptional for a part like this? When should I expect to change shift solenoids with in the AW-4? Thnxs. I know replacing parts is routine maintenance, trying to keep ahead of the next repair and or replace items.

I'll venture to say impossible to pin down how long a part will last: what type of service did the jeep have? Mine is 28 years old with 132k. Someone might have 400k in that time. Location of service? Alaska? Saudi Arabia. Which supplier built the part over the years and where was it built? If it's not broke....seems to apply.

Back