• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 pops out of 4low into neutral.

Airsmitty

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy! I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't run into much information on my problem. I've got a 91 cherokee 4.0 aw4 Np242. About two months ago I replaced a stretched transfer case chain and put a lock right locker in the front.

It worked great for a few wheeling trips, but now my np242 won't stay in 4 low. Whenever I decelerate or come up to a rock, it pops the t case into neutral. I've already adjusted the linkage all over the place, but it is definitely something inside the transfer case. The t-case works great in every other mode/range, but it just won't stay in 4 low any more.

I've read a little about worn shift fork bushings, but i'm hoping someone can shed some light on the subject for me before I rip into the case again. THanks!

The little plastic pads that go on the shift forks probably need replaced. Mine had the same problem and I had a couple pads that were broken when I opened it up. I think the replacement pads were like $12 on eBay.

Ditto on my 85 xj. Make sure you check the slide gear too. Mine

actually wore and a taper developed and would throw it into neutral even with new fork pads. I had to replace the gear.

Also, a bad transmission or motor mount can cause this. When you get loaded up on the rocks, the torque of low range will twist your entire drivetrain - and pull on the t-case linkage.

The little plastic pads that go on the shift forks probably need replaced. Mine had the same problem and I had a couple pads that were broken when I opened it up. I think the replacement pads were like $12 on eBay.

This is exactly what was causing the problem I had with a NP242 slipping out of low into neutral. The little plastic tabs were broken and the shift fork was resting directly against the sliding gear.

Back