• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High oil pressure at start?

Qban

NAXJA Forum User
I'm still looking for overheating gremlins in my engine after I recently replaced the exhaust manifold which had a big crack near to collector.

One thing I noticed is that my oil pressure seemed a bit high. When the engine is warm and I start it up I get about 40 psi, every 30sec or so my idle sounds just a tad different and my oil pressure psi dips to 28 psi then sits there for a bit before slowly going back to 40.

Is this "bouncing" oil pressure psi normal, could it be a clogged oil passage or something else. I'm running rotella 10w30 and a wix filter.

Thanks for your help.

40 is not high, or low, for that matter.

Pressure drop with associated idle fluctuation could be a failing hydraulic lifter, but hard to say over the interwebs.

Engine rpm's makes the oil pressure vary. Cold oil generates higher oil pressures than warm oil. You should be comparing warmed up oil pressures. Normal oil pressure is 10-15 psi at warm idle, and 35+ psi at 55mph.

All of 5 my XJ's have/had about 40-45 psi at 55 mph.

When you first start your Jeep, your oil is very thick, so it is normal for oil pressure to be high. As it warms up, the oil thins. This is what the ratings, such as 10w30, mean. It has to do with the viscosity at different temperatures.

When your oil thins out after being warmed up, your oil pressure should be around 13 PSI or more. When you're cruising through different RPMs, it is normal for your oil pressure to rise, as your oil pump is sending oil down the journals of your moving crankshaft to lubricate your bearings in volume.

There is nothing wrong with high oil pressure, but yours is definitely not high. It's also not low.

When you first start your Jeep, your oil is very thick, so it is normal for oil pressure to be high. As it warms up, the oil thins. This is what the ratings, such as 10w30, mean. It has to do with the viscosity at different temperatures.

When your oil thins out after being warmed up, your oil pressure should be around 13 PSI or more. When you're cruising through different RPMs, it is normal for your oil pressure to rise, as your oil pump is sending oil down the journals of your moving crankshaft to lubricate your bearings in volume.

There is nothing wrong with high oil pressure, but yours is definitely not high. It's also not low.

Actually, most modern oils the (10w30, etc) does not mean much. It is just a number. With this most oils are about "200" +/- weight cold, and at NOT typically ~10 weight.
I would buy/rent a manual oil pressure gauge and confirm your oil pressure.

Actually, most modern oils the (10w30, etc) does not mean much. It is just a number. With this most oils are about "200" +/- weight cold, and at NOT typically ~10 weight.
I would buy/rent a manual oil pressure gauge and confirm your oil pressure.

I don't buy that. Stringent specifications are necessary and manufacturer marked for a reason.

The engine was warmed up and at idle with 40 psi. That's what had me concerned. The fluctuation seems weird to me as well...

Back