• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board welder?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I really want to get one set up, but I don't have a lot of cash. I came across this article http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/on-boardwelder/index.html on Pirate. Has anyone used this method on their xj? I was thinking of mounting a Ford alternator on the driverside where the airbox was and mounting a plater over it with the lead plug-ins. I would make a double pulley on something to turn it and I would just remove the belt when I don't want to use it. Does this sound possible or does anyone have a similar setup?

Last edited:
if the mounting gets hairy there (and it might, replacing a broken serp. belt might be a PITA with the alt there), move the battery to where the air box was, or in the back somewhere, and mount the second alt. above the current one, next to the AC comp.

I use the rechargeable, portable wire feed unit from Harbor Freight (made by Century) and love it.

The best part of it is when a vehicle breaks in a tight canyon like Sledgehammer or Outer Limits, you can walk the welder right to him without having to drive your junk over.

$300 gets it to your door. It does 75" of weld in one charge, can do up to 1/4" plate in one pass, and can be re-charged while you drive, if you have a small inverter.

CRASH

I made up a welder using my spare alternator. I carry a spare anyway so I fugure I might as well make more use full. Its for a 92 318 but I think its the same as the XJ alternator. Its 90 amps and I made a bracket off the ac pump to mount the OBW. Its not a permanent setup but I wont use it much anyway. If there is a break bad enough for welding the 3-5 minutes it takes to mount it is lost in the noise.

The dodge alternator is externally regulated so you have to supply 12V field voltage to make it work. It welds 1/8 red very nicely at if I remember right about 1500 rpm. It will run a 110 v Harbor Freight grinder at 2400 rpm and a light bulb (not florescent) at the same time.

It has a hi frequency buzzing sound when you weld.

I made up some 25ft leads and used jumper cables for a holder and ground.

If you guys are interested I can post some pics or show you how it works at Slickrock.

Back