• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ Owner - What is this and where do I get one (among other questions).

pbiancardi

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, just purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited and ripped up the carpets and all was pristine except for the drivers side which was rusted (I pulled carpets based on reading and knowing there was probably something that needed fixing). I know how to handle, have already POR-15'ed rust area and have one small hole to patch.

My main question is there is a round punchout type thing (drain??) see picture from my good side, that was rotted out on my bad side. What is this and can I buy a replacement somewhere?

Secondary question, only the drivers side was wet and had damage, I have noticed that the windshield probably needs to be resealed, is that the likely culprit? I would hate to put new carpet until I have found the source of the water.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2wdo9bs.jpg

Bad side after POR-15

2vluxz6.jpg

possibly junkyard or just make a plate for it.

I'd check around with your local body shops as well, they might have a lead on where to get one. My guess is the water damage is likely due to water coming up through rust holes, rather than down through the windshield. If it was coming in through the windshield, I'd imagine it would be mostly in your dash area, not on the floor. (Have seen a bad windshield seal leak water onto the floor, but that was an '86 Chevy CUCV pickup I had. There's not much to the dash or really the whole truck anyways lol.) Could possibly be coming in from the bottom of the door area.

I cut two circles out of a piece of sheet metal, drilled a hole in the center and bolted them together like a sandwich. Put a good bead of Mastic around the lip of the hole in the floor board, top and bottom before I bolted them together. Mastic works better than silicon, you can paint it.

A little work with a ball peen hammer after it was bolted in and before the Mastic set up and it fit good enough. I used fairly thick sheet metal, 14 gauge (2 mm).

http://teamcherokee.com/floor-pan-plug-2-cherokee-1984-1999/

I believe this is what you need, the link JHC posted is for the oval shaped plugs and the smaller round plugs. This will give you a way to remove it if you are planning on keeping carpet out but since you're talking new carpet when you put this in then I'd recommend sealing it in from both sides to make sure it's water tight.

Back