• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner C rotation question

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
This is more of a setup question,can this be done with axle off of the rig?I am building a wagoner 44 for the front of my new MJ.So with the axle out of the rig do you just level the axle then measure the degrees on the c?Or is the degrees based of the centerline of the axle?Just want to make damn sure my before and after measurements are correct.Thanks for some guidance here.

How-CasterAngle.gif

You want to add postive caster to compensate for the loss of positive caster when the rig is lifted, so find the level plane that the axle will operated on, then measure the caster angle of the knuckle to establish your baseline measurement. When I rotated my knuckles, I added 4 degrees of positive caster, meaning leaned the knuckle rearward by 4 degrees.

The fun starts on Page 4
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935127&highlight=knuckle+rotation

It is not so important where you measure from as long as the inner C's get rotated the right direction and equally side to side. I measure on the top of the C's and the face of the diff opening when I do them.

That's what I was looking for as I will do almost all the work on this on the bench just wanted to turn the c's before I weld or set anything else.Thanks a bunch.

You can set the C's close (+4) on the bench and lightly tack them in place. Do not finish weld them. Do a final check your pinion and caster angles only when you get the vehicle to finished ride height and weight all around. The alignment should be the last thing you do. Make sure to have it just as you are going to drive it. Adjust the C's as needed by cutting and re-tacking. Do this with upper or lower CA adjustments set about 1/2 way and then burn the C's in. Fine tune it again after the finish welds are done and cool. This will keep the base axle alignment correct and still allow the CA's plenty of adjustment for future fine tuning or wear and tear.

Back