• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Donor block and head questions - stroker

besthaticouldo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ right now, a local guy has an 02 S vin long block that I can basically have for pickup. He said it had a bit of piston slap, but I can overbore for the stroker build.

However, I'm wondering compatibility. Can I use that block and head for my stroker build?

It's a "clean slate block", casted differently and XJ motor mount brackets do not bolt up.

PM BrownDog, they used to have conversion brackets to drop into an XJ.

Mighjt want to do a search on the subject too, iirc there are a few other smaller issues to work out as well.

Piston slap on WJ engines usually end up being a broken piston skirt.

It's a "clean slate block", casted differently and XJ motor mount brackets do not bolt up.

PM BrownDog, they used to have conversion brackets to drop into an XJ.

Mighjt want to do a search on the subject too, iirc there are a few other smaller issues to work out as well.

Piston slap on WJ engines usually end up being a broken piston skirt.

Interesting, it does look like they have the super brackets that will work. But it looks like it'd be best to find an engine from an XJ.

He wants $125 for the long block as is, thought it was a pretty good deal. But may not be worth the trouble.

May just opt for this one and find a head locally I can use...
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/4587563644.html

Id suggest finding a earlier HO engine core.
The later engines have some issues with cylinder heads.

Your best bet would be to try to find a early 91 to 95 HO with a block casting #53008405.
In those years you'd most likely get the desirable 7120 head.

Second choice would be the late HO with the production years running from 96 through 1999 with a casting #53020569

Hope this helps.

If it has a 7120 cylinder head casting number it's the same head.

Sounds like you now have a good foundation for a build.

Just for future info:

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

Been there done that.I put a 2003 WJ 4.0 into my 88 XJ.It is not hard at all ,you have to replace the water pump for an XJ and just hold the motor mount brackets up to the block,drill and tap the bosses that exist for them and I do believe space a couple spots out with washers and/or spacers.
88 Renix era brackets bolted right up

Back