• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan won't quite seat properly

killnine

NAXJA Forum User
We're replacing the rear main seal and track bar, and we've gotten the RMS installed and the bearing cap back on properly and the bracket back on the block. I then managed to get the pan back on after dropping the axle with no tires like we did to remove it. The pan will fit tight to the block in the front, but when I put the back in up where it should be, it's hitting something before it will seat all the way against the block. I didn't purposefully change the pickup tube or anything, so I'm not sure what could be hitting. It must be towards the back anyhow. It's off from the block by about a quarter inch. Any ideas?

Embarrassing, but I found the problem. Took the pan and gasket back out and there was a huge gouge/bend on one side of the rim, which was hanging it up.

Embarrassing, but I found the problem. Took the pan and gasket back out and there was a huge gouge/bend on one side of the rim, which was hanging it up.

Maybe that's what was leaking and you didn't need to change your rear main seal.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Pulled the pan to do RMS and realized the lip of my oil pan was bent (although in my case the RMS was definitely leaking). I checked online and found Advance Auto had replacement pans in stock for $89.99 (minus an online discount I saved $35), so I paid $55 for a brand new oil pan. Felt better installing that knowing I wouldn't have to pull the pan anytime soon (what a pain).

Here is the part if you are looking for it - exact same as stock (drain plug is a little different from OEM): http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general

Back