• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling issues

agaribay8

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I am new to the forum and am looking for some insight on my 1999 Jeep XJ (sport). It was recently discovered that a previous owner apparently put stop leak into the system and I have been chasing my tail to fix the overheating problems. It has probably pinged out and overheated about 4 times, and I fear it's not done. So far I have had two system flushes, the radiator and cap, thermostat, and electric fan replaced. It seems the only things left to replace are the upper and lower hoses, the water pump(which was apparently replaced about 2 years ago) and the fan clutch for the mechanical fan. My temperature rises to the next notch above 210 and the electric fan runs constantly regardless of whether I am in stop and go city traffic or on the highway. The A/C is also not working so it runs this temp without A/C activated. Is this normal? Most threads I have read state the normal running temp is around 210. Is this a problem that it runs over? If so, how do I remedy the problem? One mechanic said I possibly have a bad head gasket or cracked block while another said there are no signs of either and there don't seem to be any sort of leaks in the system. Thanks.

-Adam

Last edited:
have you checked the cylinder head with an IR thermometer to make sure the gauge is accurate? For the temps, going over 210 w/o AC running is a bit higher than what I'd like to see. For the flushes, did the fluid come out clean? Regarding the cylinder head, that is a possibility. There are inexpensive kits at most auto parts stores to test the coolant with to see if there are exhaust gases present.

I would replace the radiator as well they are cheap about $100 at AutoZone and usually needed on our XJ's of this age.

Mechanic did a chemical test which he said turned out fine, no signs of exhaust gases. The first flush came out very dirty and the radiator was full of stop leak, hence the radiator was replaced. Second flush was also dirty, almost a brownish color. After the second flush no signs of oil or trans fluid in coolant. Also, after the second flush it ran at about a notch below 210 mark for a week or so then moved up. I'm pretty sure mechanic tested the temp externally with an IR thermometer, not sure though.

I live in the Desert where our temps run during the summer over 100 every day, mostly higher. I had a old 89(closed system) that always ran hot, i took it to a Rad shop and had them do a complete flush. I can now or did( totaled it) run it while off roading in outside temps above 110 and never over heated. I have never liked the auto stuff for cleaning out a rad. I think a shop does it 100% better, but i love spending under a 100 bucks over a new motor any time

Service the cooling system. Use a chemical flush until all the stop leak is cleaned out. Replace anything that is suspect.

Overheating can be caused by anything that decreases the cooling system’s ability to absorb, transport, and dissipate heat, such as a low coolant level, loss of coolant (through internal or external leaks), poor heat conductivity inside the engine because of accumulated mineral deposits in the water jackets or radiator, a defective thermostat that doesn’t open, poor airflow through the radiator, a slipping mechanical fan clutch, an inoperative electric cooling fan, a collapsed lower radiator hose, an eroded or loose water pump impeller or even a defective radiator cap.

The cooling system is a group of related parts that depend on proper function from each of its component parts to keep the engine cool. Service the cooling system and replace any under-performing or suspected weak parts. Any component part of the cooling system that is not fully doing its job will stress the others, and your engine will overheat. Temperature creep on the 4x4 trails, at idle, or in stop-n-go traffic, points to a weak or failing mechanical fan clutch or worn out water pump fins.

The most important maintenance item is to flush and refill the coolant periodically. Coolant should be replaced every 36,000 miles, or every two to three years. Anti-freeze has a number of additives that are designed to prevent corrosion in the cooling system, but they have a limited life span. The corrosion causes scale that eventually builds up and begins to clog the thin flat tubes in the radiator and heater core, causing the engine to eventually overheat.

-Use a flushing/cleaning solution to remover mineral buildup or rust, and then drain and fill the radiator with a fresh 50/50 coolant and water mix. With neglected cooling system you may have to flush several times.
-Inspect the radiator for mud/bugs/grass clogging the outside and mineral deposits clogging the inside. Clean or replace as needed.
-Replace the thermostat with a STANT or Robertshaw 195* thermostat. Cheap thermostats are cheap for a reason.
-Replace the radiator cap if your Jeep has one. An old worn out radiator cap will allow boil overs and/or allow the coolant flash over into to steam. You will see the coolant temps suddenly jump from 210* to the Red Zone and back to 210* if your radiator cap is weak.
-Inspect/test or replace the mechanical fan clutch. A worn fan clutch will allow temperature creep at stoplights, in heavy traffic, and on the 4x4 trails. A fan clutch that “looks” OK is not the same as working OK.
-Inspect the electric cooling fan and the fan relay. Apply 12 volts and make sure the fan runs. Exchange the cooling fan relay with one of the others similar relays. Confirm that the e-fan starts when engine temps reach 215-218*. Repair or replace the fan or relay as needed.
-Inspect/test or replace the coolant temperature sensor that activates the e-fan.
-Replace the water pump. The pumping fins can deteriorate over time and the pump will not flow enough coolant to keep the temps under control.
-Inspect/replace the radiator hoses. Make sure the coiled wire is installed in the lower hose.

If you have covered all the points listed above and still have overheating issues, inspect and test the head for cracks and head gasket for leaks. Exhaust gasses entering the coolant can raise the temperature of the coolant or cause steam pockets in the coolant that will temporarily block the flow of coolant

Read more about cooling systems here –

www.offroaders.com/tech/engine-overheating.htm

www.carparts.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm

standard.jpg

Thanks for the information. Does anyone recomend a Hesco water pump or will original factory parts suffice? Also, I've heard the lower radiator hose should have a spring for better reinforcement. Any good site suggestions on where to order these parts?

Thanks for the information. Does anyone recomend a Hesco water pump or will original factory parts suffice? Also, I've heard the lower radiator hose should have a spring for better reinforcement. Any good site suggestions on where to order these parts?

I am running a Hesco pump and have no regrets, would replace it with another Hesco when the time comes.

Back