• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Cherokee transmission can you tell me witch wires

NJeepXJ98

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 98 Cherokee a few weeks ago and the check engine light came on with codes for the transmission. The only thing that has changed since it has came on is the TC doesn't lock up. Sometimes the check engine light will shut off and the TC starts to lock up again. Can anyone tell me what wires i should check for power to the solenoids before i just replace them?

The codes are:
P0700 Transmission Control system
(MIL REQUEST)
P0753 1-2/ 4-5 solenoid circuit
P0740 TCC Out OF Range
P0743 TCC Solenoid Circuit

I did find this in the wiring harness ill try to get a better picture not sure if these have to do anything with the trans maybe they are a ground for the solenoid im not sure the tranny dip stick rubbed through http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/atta...66869t-98-cherokee-transmission-codes-dfv.jpg

Any help will be aprecciated

Last edited:
You are getting way ahead of yourself... First change the fluid, if it is dark and smells burnt, with Dex/Merc III (personally I only use non-synthetic). I would also change the filter and look very carefully at the current filter for any metallic shine or, God forbid, pieces of metal in the transmission fluid/screen. Next I would test the solenoids as described in this thread http://m.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=140696&page=2. Also, you have to allow for slightly more resistance due to the fact that you are not testing the solenoids, but further up the line. Go from here.

Use the Diagnostics provided by your Jeep. Google the Check Engine Light trouble code causes, and fix them. Test the wires for continuity and for short circuits.

I would suggest spending $6.95 at PacificCoastManuals.com for a genuine Jeep Service Manual. Follow the diagnostic procedures and testing procedures in the transmission section.

As suggested, dirty/burnt fluid is probably not helping any and should be changed out.

Thank you for the link cpefy3 helped me figure it out. It was the switch that sits by the brake pedal. I put my bottle cap in between the to and now the torque converter locks up every time and the check engine light went away. But now does anybody have a way to fix it the rite way so i can remove the bottle cap?

I would change out the brake pedal switch... They are cheap enough, that when one acts faulty, it is better to just change it out. As with all sensors, for my jeep, I only choose MOPAR.

Well the check engine has come back on with the same codes. Seems to me like the TC is not locking up once the trans gets good warm after driving for a while. What is the best way to get most of all the fluid out without using a flush machine? I'm thinking maybe the bad burnt fluid is cause it to heat up more then it should so the computer locks out overdrive

NJeepXJ98, Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same codes right now and cant seem to figure it out. Brake switch looks fine..

Back