• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sounds like zip tie attached to drive shaft

mcgyvermf

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
New to site but not Cherokees, but always learning. Need some help with clicking sound on 99 2wheel drive. No problems until I turned into driveway and started hearing clicking sound like a zip tie attached to drive shaft. Only hear it while moving and everything works just fine. Thought maybe the rear output trans bearing as the yoke seems a tad sloppy. Any ideas before I try and find a new (used) trans? Also I hear the output shaft bearing can be replaced without dropping trans or splitting case, any truth to that. Thanks for any input...

A clicking makes me think a dried out drive shaft joint, maybe the centering ball. Is it worse under acceleration or deceleration? How about going around a corner one way or the other.

Thanks for replying, All the aforementioned is good. It only does it when in motion. As I speed up or slow down, so does the clicking, literally as if there was a something on the drive shaft. Everything works fine, changing gears, turning, reverse...sitting still there is no clicking... and by the way it is automatic.

Have you checked the tires for nails?

I doubt if the clicking is coming from the rear output bearing, but if the driveshaft has
a lot of wobble at that location, then the bearing probably needs to be changed, anyway.

I've changed several rear output trans bearings on the AW4. No need to drop the trans.
The trans has to be supported while the crossmember is removed. After that, rear output housing has to be removed. No small task, as the factory used a sealant at the joint and
it is a bear to split the parts. After removing the housing bolts, I use a rubber mallet and
copious amounts of cursing while whacking all around the side of the case in order to loosen it apart.

The old bearing needs to be pressed out and the new bearing pressed in. Be sure to align
the oil feed hole - or else.

The bearing itself looks like an engine camshaft bearing.

Be sure that the bearing oil feed tube is correctly aligned when putting the housing back on.

Did you check for a zip tie? I'm serious I've had buddies do it to me.

Or maybe look at the Ebrake cables. It sits right above the driveline, I've had mine come undone and fall into the driveline before

Under certain body tork situations the grease fitting on my rear driveshaft comes into contact with my muffler. That causes a clicking sound. You may just want to climb under it and look for clean spots on the muffler where there might of been some driveshaft contact.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I did check for the zip tie because that is exactly what it sounded like. I parked it and haven't really looked at it, was busy finding, buying and fixing on a 2001 4x4 xj same as my 99. checked again and moved it to the back and there is no clicking now, just and obvious wobbly clunk. Most certain it is the output bearing. It is definitely sloppy now. Strange there is no trans fluid leaking though, not a drop.
Thanks for the advise dragonslayer. I may attempt it, a friend owns a shop in town and says it will be about 150.00 to do it. Much cheaper than a trans around here. Had to get one for my sons jeep about 2 yrs ago and it was 650.00.
Again, thanks for all the help and advise. Sure I'll be back for more...

Back