• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ no cranking and partial power

Turner-2000TJ

NAXJA Forum User
So my son picked up an 88 XJ, 4x4, 4.0, auto the other day as a project. Future plans are to lift it and install larger rubber. Any ways back to the current problem at hand. The previous owner pulled the steering column to rebuild the tilt portion. He tried to install it and now it has partial power and will not crank. He left it at that point and decided to sell it. So we now have it and have started to work on it. The headlights, dash lights and dome light all work but nothing else does. At first I thought the ignition switch was out so I replaced it with no success. The red wire on the ignition switch has 11.5 volts but when I plug in the 2 connectors I lose that power. Not sure why its only 11.5 volts because the battery has 12+.

The column is currently just sitting in the floor board while we work on it. Does it have to be bolted up to work correctly?

I've searched for other issues like mine but have found nothing. What am I missing?

That 11.5 volts could be sub system crossover from some poor grounds. Happens sometimes, you get a volt reading but very low (useless) amps.

I'd check the fusible links by the starter relay. It's possible he caused a short and blew one or more.

well the fusible links all seem to be good. I did notice that the stud on the starter relay is loose inside the relay. Had to order one so Ill get that replaced tomorrow.

Back