• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attaching Cherry Picker to 4.0L for removal and Replacement

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Just about ready to put the 4.0L back in the vehicle. Have heads, manifolds and accessory mounting brackets on the engine. Have a load leveler on the engine hoist which offers 4 attachment points to the engine, 2 at the front and 2 at the back. Where would you recommend attaching these to on the engine. I was thinking of using a head mounting bolt on the front and rear of the drivers side that the electrical connector bridge goes on. Would this be okay, would need to buy 2 7/16 x 14 pitch nuts I believe. What can I attach to on the passenger side? I was thinking possibly the alternator bracket on the front but am at a loss for a rear attachment point on the passenger side.
Thanks,
Bill

ps sure wish there was a good source of pictures to show where everything goes. Took some pictures, but guess I missed a few areas, live and learn.

I just did this in May and I did a 2 point pick just where you said. And I was pulling the whole drivetrain at once. I saw it on youtube.

I was thinking of using a head mounting bolt on the front and rear of the drivers side that the electrical connector bridge goes on. Would this be okay
That's what I use and let the engine tilt to the driver's side. I have a helper help tilt the engine, when installing, to get it to go in straight.
Before pulling the engine, I remove the flexplate inspection cover and bolts, leaving the TC in the trans, so the seal doesn't get screwed up..
Keep track of the two removable guide bushings in the two lower mounting holes, they could be stuck in the engine or the transmission.
A few years ago, I tried installing new engine that had bushings, while the old trans had retain its bushings. It took a while to figure out why the engine would not go in.
Another learning moment.

Back