• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safely removing A/C to get access to bolts?

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
Ok trying to get my oil filter adapter out. The A/C lines are driving me ape *%($. Is there a way to disconnect the lines and still be able to use them after I hook everything up? Or is this one of those disconnect and have to get recharged / new compressor things? Thanks. Getting in the way of the stupid motor mount too lol

You can unbolt the compressor and move it, but you can't disconnect any lines without losing your refrigerant. In fact, I wouldn't even try to undo the lines. High pressure refrigerant and oil will blow all over the place. Not a good idea.

I have a 96 so the setup may be a little different on yours. I unbolted the filter drier (mount) and took the top radiator mount (header cross brace or whatever it is called) off, folded up a blanket and laid it towards the rear of the valve cover. Flopped the condenser over and laid it on the blanket. I temporarily tied a few things up out of the way with cable ties.

I think I took the battery and battery tray out also and disconnected a few other pieces (wiring connectors etc.). I seem to remember the filter dried and mount as being the only real difficult part, it had been in there undisturbed for many years.

Anytime I re-install the header brace (top radiator mount) I put a dab of grease on all the threaded hardware. This makes taking it out the next time really easy.

I was pretty careful with the refrigerant lines, as they were really old and hard. No major issues I can remember, I even temporary tied the condenser up to the firewall wiring harness so it wouldn't slip and possibly damage it.

8MUD thanks I'll give that a shot.

Talyn thats exactly what I ended up doing for the oil adapter. It was easy to pull off. I was reading write ups about how much of a pain it was but mine had the 16mm bolt. Little bit of downward pressure and it came loose. The damn oil filter itself was harder.

Anyways thanks everyone I'm pretty sure I have a bolt broken on the passenger side mount so that'll be fun. Hopefully I can get these stupid lines cleared out of the way enough to get at them!

Back