• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Help

Firemech

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 XJ with a 30-42LE (????) tranny that has been having a weird issue, every time I start to drive it feels and sounds like the transmission is not catching right away. Once it does it runs fine. Sometimes it will jerk hard, other times it will engage after a few minutes. I just changed the filter and fluid, found very very small shavings on the magnets.

Why do you think you have a 30-42LE transmission? The only factory offered auto was the AW-4. Did the previous owner swap it out for some reason?

What kind of fluid did you use? Since you just changed it, I assume you verified that the level is correct?

That number came directly off the tranny data plate, i do not know if it was a swap out. i used ATF4 (all i could get my hands on) and yes it is full.

post a picture of the trany pan. that will help identify the trans better. being in Hi it may be some odd hybrid for non-US sales. 42LE is a ZJ transmission, and this problem sounds exactly like a ZJ trans failure...

did the problem start before, or after you did the fluid change? it's not very clear.

42le is not a zj trans that would be a 42rh and, would not have a data plate.

Aisin warners designation is a 340H = AW4

no biggie.

To the OP: trans is likely FUBAR. Good thing is that they are plentiful in the junkyard and usually cheap. I have 2 sitting in my garage that I've tried to sell and no one (local) wants them for $100

the problem started before i changed the filter and fluid. i will see if i can get a picture tonight. there is one hard part being in HI there are very few pick-a-park junk yards. just an odd question there is no way this could be a torque converter issue?

Needed Edit 30-43LE the 30-42LE was a trans-axle assembly.

Also known as the AW-4 that everyone else refers to it as. Makes more sense now.

If you were in the continental US, I'd say just grab one out of a junkyard or off craigslist for 150 bucks or less and swap it out. I'm not sure if those options are as readily available in HI.

so i have adjusted the TV cable, not much better but better less time to for the tranny to "catch" . New issue i have a bad shimmy in the in the front, i have visually checked the Track bar it seems rock steady however the steering stablaizer and drag link are loose, i can move it up and down almost a half inch. Is there anything other then that and out of balance tires that can cause this. thank you all for helpping this XJ noob out!

Again thank you all for the help!!
Squeeky is going in the tranny shop next month, and the wobble was solved, blown tierod ends and bent and broken drag link. (hidden by adjuster sleave)

Back