• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Left lights on w/ batt drain then motor won't idle on restart

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
'96 XJ here and I forgot and left my headlights on, so 45 mins later everythings totally dead at key turn. No interior lights, nothing.

Get a jump and the 4.0 only starts when I give it a little gas. Had to two foot it for a while b/c the motor would die if I wasn't giving it at least a little gas. After reaching around 50 mph the motor seemed to be ok and I could single foot it again at stop signs etc.

Next day start it up and back out and it dies again. So same thing, tendency to die at stop signs unless foot on the gas. So I get up to around 50 again and it starts to act normal again.

So what's happening here? Did the batt drain reset the computer or something and now it's learning how to idle again? Is there anything I can do to help it learn faster?

The IAC seems real sensitive to the battery charge and the overall health of the charging system. The IAC may be a little gummed up and combined with a battery or charging problem tends to stick shut.

Forty five minutes is too soon for a headlights to completely drain the battery IMO. I'd get a good charge on the battery and then take it down and get it load tested.

What type of battery, sealed or open (serviceable type)? Your battery may be dying or maybe it just needs a good charge. Pulse chargers are neat and can bring a seemingly sorry battery back to life.

I'd also volt test the battery with the motor running, with the motor off and again after the it has sit overnight.

Good clean battery clamps, poles and grounds are also important.

Yup, the whole system is struggling with the bad battery. A good battery will run headlights for several hours and still start the Jeep.

I'd definitely have it tested and plan to replace it.

Back