• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding entire front end in 1989 XJ Limited?

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Cherokee Limited 4.0, NP242, AW4, 235/75R15 tires, BB lift (coil spacers and rear leaf shackles). Appx. 214,000 miles.

So I unfortunately have sold my XJ to a friend but we are finishing up some maintenance that it desperately needed when we decided to make the deal (terrible death wobble and shot brake booster). He has all new brakes front and rear, and a new booster and master cylinder coming this weekend. I have purchased all new ball joints in the front, as well as the entire ZJ V8 upgrade steering setup that we will put in this coming weekend.

My question is, especially since I don't have it sitting in front of me anymore to visually check, what else is up there in the front end that should be addressed at this time? It has appx. 214,000 miles and I already did RMS, tranny pan/gasket/filter about a year or so ago. Has a fresh valve cover gasket as of a little over a year ago as well. I recommended new diff cover gaskets and fluid at some point, although that IMO isn't an immediate concern.

We are putting a good amount of work into it together (splitting costs), as he plans on moving out of the country in the fall and will be selling it back to me at that time, so it is definitely in my best interests to take care of this stuff now with him.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

No, didn't get the track bar. Got the whole tie rod setup from knuckle to knuckle for the V8 ZJ upgrade. Rear shaft has new U-joints, front does not, but no vibrations at this time. Could probably do new shocks but I think that might wait until I get it back as he has no desire to lift it any further with any bigger tires or anything. As soon as the steering and brakes are done next weekend, it goes straight to the alignment shop.

Got ball joints on the list already. Control arm bushings might be another thing that if they are still ok, I might leave them until I get it back because I'm going to want to go aftermarket with a lift and everything.

Thanks for the advice guys, like I said, I don't have it in front of me anymore to look at everything, just trying to think of what else I might want to do while I have the front end apart this weekend.

Back