• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exploded pilot bearing, trans shaft looks a bit messy

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Pilot bearing on my AX15 exploded, probably a while back. I had assumed my trans/clutch noise was the TOB going bad (which it was, as one retainer clip had failed). Finally got clutch out today and the pilot bearing is completely gone. Only a bit of the outer race remains.
The input shaft on the transmission is definitely grooved, and I'm wondering if this is going to kill me? Should I replace the input shaft or just throw the new Pilot bearing in and giver?

Also, the input shaft has a very small amount of lateral movement and I've got no idea what's normal tolerance. Should I also be considering replacing the input shaft bearing in the trans as well?

One more thing :) Given there's almost nothing left of the Pilot bearing and even the outer race is worn enough that I accidentally broke the front lip off... Will a pilot bearing removal tool even do the job? I tried hydraulically punching it out, but wouldn't budge.

Re: Re: Exploded pilot bearing, trans shaft looks a bit messy

enavegum.jpg

Its out now :)
Hit it with a dremel and a cold chisel.

Just installing the new flywheel now. Bit of a biatch to do alone.
Then new clutch, then tear down the trans while I wait for my new gearset.

Back