• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change out valve cover gasket advice?

Bigelow965

NAXJA Forum User
About to replace the valve cover gasket on my '96 XJ for the first time and wondered if anyone had any advice. Already have Felpro gasket so we're good there.

Swivel sockets or universal joint or whatever you want to call it to reach the back bolts by the firewall. Other than that just take you time.

I replaced the CCV grommets and spent time really cleaning the inside of the valve cover, not that it needed it but I did it anyways.

I cleaned the mating surface really well. Wiped it down numerous times with a clean paper towel and solvent.
I used the OEM grommets in the valve cover instead of the Fel Pro grommets that came with the kit. A small drop of Loc Tite on the bolts/studs.
It has been holding up well, not a drop of leakage.

Keep the sleeves inside the factory grommets.

Thanks for the info.

Looked it up in the old FSM but I can't tell if I'm looking at the right number. I think the FSM calls the valve cover something different.

Anybody know the torque values for the valve cover retaining bolts on a '96 XJ 4.0?

Last edited:
I usually go hand tight with the socket on an ext, and then 180 deg with ratchet. Also, alternate side starting with the center in a clockwise pattern, after they are "hand hight".

it's going to be standard torque value for a 1/4-20 bolt. Assuming it's grade 5 (pretty safe assumption) it's 8 ft lbs dry, 6.2 wet. x12 for inch-lbs.
Best bet is to clean & dry dry threads with brake clean & compressed air or a bucket of Simple Green or some such.

EDIT

And yes, make sure you don't chuck the metal washer / sleeve thingies when (if) you replace the grommets. It's a PITA to find those... ask me how I know...

Make gasket locating studs. You can take old valve colver studs, cut them off, grind the bolt heads to smaller than the thread OD, cut a slot in the heads, and paint them yellow or red so they dont get misplaced.

Makes things very easy.

Back