• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brakes and 5x5.5 hub question.

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
I have wj brakes on my Dana 30. It has a spacer and TJ bearings. I have Iron rock offroad disc's that are dual drilled. I believe it's to 5x5.5. Is there a 5x5.5 unit bearing I can Buy to run 5x5.5 wheels? Or am I stuck using my adapters?

There is not.

The only option is the Warn 5x5.5 hub kit, and there is no clean way to run it on WJ knuckles. There are two methods, I did one, and then the other, and both have a ton of problems.

Better off not doing it.

you can also go reid racing knuckles and use all ford/chevy/jeep parts to get 5 on 5.5, bigger brakes albeit not double piston unless you go uber custom. but gives you all the advantages of the WJ Swap minus unit bearing... maybe a plus maybe a minus... cost about 1K for me... works great, now i need to rework my master cylinder to a larger bore to get my pedal back but stops better for sure.... steering is also way better angles

bigger but not better brakes.

19 spline stubs, weaker than the stock d30 outers.

you get 5x5.5, hubs, and high steer.

You lose axle strength and stopping power.

My rig definitely stops better with the gm brakes after the swap, they have a wheel cylinder twice the size. you need way more pedal travel to do it but the difference is noticeable, and from speaking with some people that can be fixed with a mc bore change, as far as strength goes I cannot comment on longevity as I have not really pushed it but the 18 spline outers lived a long life on my willys with no trouble.

There is also a kit to convert to chromo 30 spline drive slugs and outers but from what light reading I have done on the subject it seems like the inner shaft or the ears on the shafts normally break before the 19 spline shaft does.

that being said from what i hear cal knows a lot about breaking stuff, he has probably forgotten more than i will ever learn

OP, there was some talk on this topic here a few months back. If you do a quick search on my user name or Cal's you should find it. Long and short from my perspective was don't bother.

Cal, what is the second method? I did the "Hinkley", wasn't aware of another way to do it.

EDIT: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1109519

Last edited:
Yeah, mostly both are covered there.

You can run CJ rotors and spit pistons out of calipers, or run WJ rotors and have the brakes hit your steering joints ;)

I think the next time I convert an XJ to 5x5.5, I'm going to look at cutting the inner C's off and going with Dodge 1500 4x4 stuff. 5x5.5 unit bearings..

Back