• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a D44 axle measurement

Rob D

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am in need of a measurement for the d44 axles from either an XJ or TJ rear d44. I need the measurement from the spline end of the shafts to both the inside (retaining ring side of the bearing) and outside (axle seal side of the bearing) of the axle bearing with the race in place. I need the measurements for a new axle project I'm doing and I'm trying not to pull my axles to get the measurements. So, if anyone has even 1 spare shaft that could be a big help, as long as I know if it's the long side or short side, but both would be great. D35 shafts are different lengths than the 44's shafts so only d44 shafts will work. A big thank you to anyone who might help out. :worship:

I have a short side shaft sitting in my garage but I am not exactly clear on what dimension(s) you're seeking?
Hans

Okay just reread that.
The retaining (lock) ring side would be the bearing cone and seal side would be the race?
Hans

Okay just reread that.
The retaining (lock) ring side would be the bearing cone and seal side would be the race?
Hans

My "inner/outer" is referring to the axle housing not the o.d./i.d. of the bearing itself. What I mainly need is the distance from the bearing cone to the end of the shaft. I'm just trying to get both sides of the bearing to be safe. It's to determine the length needed to cut off the old ends and weld on new ends when narrowing an axle. So, they need the distance from where the bearing cone seats into the axle housing end, to the end of the shaft. I hope this helps to clear up what I was attempting to say before. :dunno:

.....they need the distance from where the bearing cone seats into the axle housing end, to the end of the shaft. I hope this helps to clear up what I was attempting to say before. :dunno:
The part of the bearing that "seats" in the housing is the race.
If that is what you're after then, from the end of the shaft to edge of the race (where it bottoms into the housing bore) is 25 11/16"
This is the short side shaft, hope that helps.
Where the heck is my other shaft?
Hans

Thank you for the help. That should put the long side at 26 3/16" and should be the info I need for the shop to chop some length off the other axle.
Where the heck is my other shaft?
Hans
:roflmao: Ummm, in someone elses d44?

Back