• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should we be carrying a fire extinguisher?

If automotive fire extinguishers were of great importance, I would think our vehicles would come factory with one. With that being said, I see a few people who carry them. I suppose since many off-roaders have modified their vehicles, there's a greater risk for electrical wiring mishaps and fuel related issues. What are your thoughts?

It's not only good to protect your jeep, but it's good to protect the forest where you're wheeling. Even a hot catalytic converter can set some tall grass on fire.

If automotive fire extinguishers were of great importance, I would think our vehicles would come factory with one. With that being said, I see a few people who carry them. I suppose since many off-roaders have modified their vehicles, there's a greater risk for electrical wiring mishaps and fuel related issues. What are your thoughts?

They are a must have item. We modify our vehicles, push them harder than most, beat on them offroad, and subject them to things the average passenger cars never see. Many of us also invest lots of money into making them our own. It would be more devastating to me if I lost my jeep than my commuter car.

Never had an electrical fire, but have had a brake pad crack and catch fire, have had pieces of a connecting rod shoot out the side of my engine block and ignite a fuel line, and have a flywheel shatter and go through a fuel line.

The latter two instances would have rendered the jeeps a total loss if I didn't have something to put out the fires. Its just cheap insurance.

I have discharged fire extinguishers from my vehicle 3 times, on other peoples vehicles.

Once on the highway (non modified POS car), which burned do the ground anyways.

Twice on offroad rigs. A fuel leak and a carpet fire. Both times damage was limited.

You should not only carry one, but it should be 5 pounds or better.. not a tiny 1-2 pounder.

Okay, you guys have convinced me to move forward with this idea. As Vanimal alluded to, I do not want to catch the forest on fire. My backyard is literally a National Forest and we live in a very dry area (Northwest New Mexico). Like others have said, it's insurance to protect my rig and/or someone else's rig. whitexj98 also made a good point. I need to make sure it's accessible. Thanks for all the replies.

I have seen more vehicle fires on paved roads, than anywhere else. If your insurance will not replace your vehicle, you might want to buy, and learn how to use a dry chem extinguisher.

I have discharged fire extinguishers from my vehicle 3 times, on other peoples vehicles.

Once on the highway (non modified POS car), which burned do the ground anyways.

Twice on offroad rigs. A fuel leak and a carpet fire. Both times damage was limited.

You should not only carry one, but it should be 5 pounds or better.. not a tiny 1-2 pounder.

I carry two 3-lb extinguishers. One is easily accessible from the driver seat; the other is under the passenger seat.

Yes, always carry at least a 5-lb extinguisher in any vehicle you care about. I have seen them used at least 5 times and have personally used them on other vehicles twice, saving both vehicles.

I took off the plastic piece on the side of the drivers seat down low and put one there. Easy to place and access.

This is where mine is on my crawler, too.

On the Team Naxja car, its on the center console at wrist level. I have to reach over it several times a race, but I will never panic and not remember where it is. :)

Always a good idea to carry an extingusiher.

You may save your vehicle, or someone elses; but more important you may give the gift of time if the vehicle is has a fire and the person is trapped.

I was on a trail with a handicapped guy who had to be lifted in and out of his vehicle. His power steering caught on fire and fire was in the cab (Dumb plumbing). Steps 1 and 2 were to get time, and to get him out of the vehicle. The extinguisher gained that time allowing his buddies to get him out of the harness and out safely. After he was safe, they put out the rest of the fire.

Carry it where you can get at it from the drivers seat. Extriguishers strapped to the back of roll cages and cargo areas are about as useless as tits on a hog when you need access to them Now.

There's a FAQ out there, give it a read. Even has pix ;)

-Ron

A modified mustang I bought years ago came with a fire extinguisher in the trunk. Of course it randomly went off and covered in the trunk with dry chemical crap.

When I had fuel pressure issues and pulled the hat out of the tank, I saw why the extinguisher was in there. The previous shop had done some really shoddy wiring, so burnt wires and butt connectors INSIDE the fuel tank got hot enough to melt the plastic fuel lines and prevent the pumps from sucking in fuel. That car was a fireball waiting to happen.

Back