• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thor pre-bent tube flares?

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So trying to figure out my flare situation. 4.5 lift and getting 35s to fit. Notch is nice too expensive and rather have a flat flare. Bushwhacker flat is expensive and not much more clearance. Now I'm thinking this flare kit from Thor its like 200 bucks just add some sheet metal. I would cut front and back to where the fender flare creases are gone and just weld these flares on. Anyone run these or have experience with it? Can't find any pics or info on this thanks.
http://shop.trailheadoffroad.ihostnetworks.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=JTCTFRFF

I'm currently mounting TJ rears on all corners, but I'm planning on JCR boxes with those or similar flares from jeeptubes. I'm sure they will look/work awesome.

Yea it would be nice just curious on some details from someone who's done it. Like the fitment after fender cutting and welding onto body instead of the skins.

I just finished tubbing out my rears to fit larger rubber. Welding the sheet metal blows. we used a 1/4" steel rod to give some meat to weld to and some stiffness, but it still sucked welding to sheet metal. Plus with as little tack welding as we did, there is some mild warping. Not so much that you can notice it, but you can feel it and see if you are up close.

I'd hate to weld tube and flares to the factory sheet metal. I imagine it would warp and blow out pretty easy, and I don't think you could get great penetration onto the tube. Also, its still a flimsy fender. If I were you, i'd really consider getting the skins. Thor and Jeeptubes make front skins. Thors are 1/16" thick, jeep tubes are 1/8" thick. Then I'd use the HORE fender idea and fab a bracket to tie it into the coil tower or unibody to give it stiffness. I'm sure you've seen the picture of a cherokee with a tire up on the fender of the HORE equipped cherokee. Replace tire with tree or rock - not gonna do that with flares welded to stock sheet.

whatever you do, post pics!

Yea thats kinda what i figured...it wouldnt cost that much except for the fact you gotta have skins, seems like the front is pretty cheap but the back skin is definitely not. I tried looking on jeeptubes but i think the site is down. Guess i need to think about this a little more.

this is one way i wouldnt mind trying to do, making it work without skins and just reinforcing making it have little brackets and whatnot. Buy the thor tubes and do something like this perhaps.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6369

Can't really tell anything from the pictures on trailheadoffroad site. :(

Back