• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spartan locker getting ready to fail?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've had this dana 30 locker a short while, I've put maybe 15 trips on it and I trailer it to most places, I don't wheel very hard I'm pretty conservative and don't push my limits... Anyway I have an 89 cherokee on pretty bald 33x10.50's which look the size of new 31's, anyway I went on a easy trip to last chance canyon. Long story short I got hung up and snapped a driver side 260x u joint. Rest of the trip was fine. Well now everytime I try and make a right hand turn the locker wanted to kick and lurch like I was in 4wd creating a nasty popping sound.anyway I swapped out axles this weekend from my 89 to a 96 front axle and went to put my spartan in it, HOPING I had a bent axle tube causing the binding issue and this is what I found

Run it or toss it?

can you order new pins?

I would replace the pins and see how it does. Also check for cracks in the outer drive plate that looks like it has chunks missing from the outer edge of the splined area. Post some pics of the teeth on the outer and inner drive plates.

Spartan sent me new pins anyway, I installed it in a different axle and installed the axle under my jeep... Long story short Locker works good as intended and no more binding issues. Glad Randy's ring and pinion warrantied it

Back