• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission range sensor

robbuck

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I've read the related threads and performed some of the recommended fixes but still....

I'm getting the 705 code x 2 - transmission range sensor - park/neutral/reverse etc... I've checked fuses and connections, I've removed the NSS, cleaned it, and reassembled/reinstalled. Everything is working as expected - vehicle starts in park and in neutral, engages in reverse, and drive, and the lows... haven't tested overdrive but... still getting the code and no back-up lights... I've inspect the bulbs and the wiring to the lights... although not all the way from front to back... but tail/brake/turns all work... ideas?

Sometimes the cleaning of the NSS is not sufficient and you simply have to replace the unit. I believe they're around $180 to replace, but don't quote me on that.

Ok, replaced the neutral safety switch, made all the adjustments, and tested, all works as did before, still no back-up lights... any other sensors linked to reverse lighting? I fear now it's a wiring issue and there is a lengthy search ahead of me....

On earlier models there is a fuse in the fuse block under the driver's knee...marked TRANS. Even on manual models that fuse is there. Whether it is there, or somewhere else, or even exists on a 99 I don't know, but someone does.

When I was tracking down my OD solenoid code I pulled the connector at the TCM under the dash and then found the 3 bulk connectors in the passenger side of the engine bay against the firewall. This is where the connections for the transmission harness are made. If memory serves, they are grey and black. I believe you can pull these connectors and then check for continuity between the TCM side harness and the trans side harness. That would probably be my next step as it seems you're covering all your bases. Do you have access to a transmission wiring diagram? I think we're probably heading in that direction unfortunately, as you'll need wire colors to check for shorts and/or continuity.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm still getting no reverse lights, and the 705 code. I took it for drive today and everything is working... goes into overdrive fine, shifts up and down fine. So I did the electrical tests... used a jumper on the harness A-E, got no reverse lights... tested continuity on the replacement NSS harness... positive on park, reverse, and neutral, but oddly could not get continuity on 3 and 1-2.... strange.. I had also cleaned the old NSS, the one I removed from it, and got the same result.... maybe I'm testing wrong.... I found a wiring diagram and it indicates a transmission range switch separate from the NSS. I also noted two blue plastic "sensors" bolted to the driver side of the transmission with wiring connections... "speed sensors?".... front and rear of transmission. Could they be the source of the code...?

So in my continuing research and before tackling the wiring, I ran across a fuse block diagram on jeepforum.com. the diagram had a list of what each fuse controls and in the list #10 was occupied and controlled among other things; transmission and back -up switch, etc... and #18; among other things, power mirrors. The owner's manual which came with the vehicle, shows both of those fuse slots as "open". Based on the info I found on jeepforum, I put a 10a fuse in slot #10 and well, my reverse lights started working again and the radiator cooling fan started working too. I'm still getting the 705 code - transmission range sensor, but glad to have those items working again. Based on this result, I put a 15a in the #18 slot, and now my power mirrors are working. So including my manual, I found multiple diagrams showing both those slots as "open". Confusing ....

I'm currently having the exact same issue. Except sometimes my OD doesn't want to work. No reverse lights and 705 code. I guess I'll try and look at the fuse block. The fuse block in reference is the one in the kick panel passenger side correct?

I have a '00.

Revival of thread:

Did any of you get a simultaneous

P0122 TPS Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Low with the
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor "A" Circuit (PRNDL Input)

Mine came in at the same time coincidentally right after I ordered a Kiwi 2 and downloaded DashCommand.
Figure one is probably causing the other??
I cleared the codes with DashCommand and haven't driven it since but will be sure to get the shifter ratcheted into the correct slot. Don't know if I lost reverse lights.

FYI: NSS at Rock Auto is $195

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back