• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb climate control question(vent setting?)

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wondering this for years and finally am just going to ask.

Is there a Vent setting? My other vehicles have just a vent setting with no fan and no AC/heater blowing. I am going on a bit of a drive up some mountains and it always gets warm inside the XJ. Windows down/cracked going 70+mph is really loud and running the ac when climbing steep hills sucks and isn't really needed. I would love just a vent setting to let outside cooler air blow through, is it possible, what setting?

/dumb question

97 xj.

Yea I figured the defrost will run cycle the AC to dry the air.

Thanks guys, I have been wondering for years how to set it to a vent and not run the AC. I appreciate it and will test it out tomorrow ; ) .

I hate the 97+ climate controls myself, so I feel you.

Why cant I have a vent/floor setting without running the AC?

Climate controls should have a knob for the vent position, a knob for the temp and a button to turn the AC on or off.

Or unplug the compressor clutch.

x2
In a 97+ unplug the connector by the firewall that is on the AC line and you get all the settings without the AC. Of course come summer, or when you need to defog you will need it plugged up.
I ran mine this way all winter so I could have heat to my face and feet.

Or unplug the compressor clutch.

x2
In a 97+ unplug the connector by the firewall that is on the AC line and you get all the settings without the AC. Of course come summer, or when you need to defog you will need it plugged up.
I ran mine this way all winter so I could have heat to my face and feet.

again, the 97+ climate controls are stupid.

Shouldn't have to unplug things just to get bi level heat. I'd like to find the guy at chrysler that designed the HVAC and kick him in the taint.

That's sexist, I should not assume it was a man. Regardless, I'm all for equality, I'd kick a women in the taint too, because the 97+ climate controls are stupid.

Pull the climate controls out and locate the lite green wire. Cut it and splice in a switch. You'll then be able to disable the AC compressor in any setting (including defrost) that would normally cause it to run.

Pull the climate controls out and locate the lite green wire. Cut it and splice in a switch. You'll then be able to disable the AC compressor in any setting (including defrost) that would normally cause it to run.

*like*

find you a factory 90's mazda ac switch for a green lightup switch that would match.

Back