• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DS angle? Too much or too little shim?

Headwithwings

NAXJA Forum User
99, Sport, 4.0, AW4, NP231 C8.25. Have a Zone 3 inch lift with new springs all around. IRO ALCA and Dbbl shear track bar. Ran the jeep for about 5 months with a one inch t-case drop with only a little vibration at 35-45 mph. Then the front drive shaft went out at the center ball and i ordered a new front and rear Tatton drive shafts and a Tera flex SYE.

Rear Pinon was at 5* and the rear DS was at 15* So I ordered a 6* shim from IRO thinking this would get me to 1-2* less then the ds angle. After the install i still have vibration but now only on acceleration (bad) and cruse. (not so bad)
Pulled the front ds and the vibration is still there so it's not the front shaft.

Re measured the rear ds angle and got 13* pinon and 14* ds

So, too much shim or too little?
Thanks.

Leaf springs are new Zone 3 inch lift springs that are a part of the kit i bought. I would hope that they are still good. Thay look good
No sag. Still stiff as all get out.

Vibes seem the worst when hard on the gas. Like when going up a hill or passing but still have a little vibes at all speeds. Oddly it is better in the mornings when it's cold out and worse on the way home when it's warm.

Post pics. Also try getting to 11 or 12 if your ds is at 14. Could have axle wrap.

So after looking at the jeep today I am starting to agree with tony that i need to switch to a 4º shim. The pinon and drive shaft are almost in line. The rear pinon is nice and tight with no discernible play.

2014-03-15_14-36-22_609_zpsea5a1bac.jpg

Sorry for the crap photo. Has anyone seen a decrease in the drive shaft angle after installing shackle relocation brackets? I have read that installing longer shackles lowers the pinon angle by about 1º per inch of added lift. I would guess that the eye of the leaf spring stays at about the same place and just the top side of the shackle moves forward and down and the D/S angle would not change. I need to fix my shackle angle and would like to avoid buying shims a third time!

ya we need a better photo than dude. I cant really make out the pinion vs DS u joint angles in that mess.

I have read that a lift using a shackle will mess with the pinion angle.

Also dont judge an angle just by looks... mine looks like 0 but is -3º. I'm going to try and get to -2º with a 5º shim. I have a 4º now.

in that terrible pic the pinion looks a little high. but its too hard too tell.

Back