• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Gauges, tap points

DaKing

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be adding some gauges :

Oil Pressure
Engine Temp
Transmission
Voltage
AFR
Vacuum

Questions:

Best place to tap oil pressure?
Best place to tap water temp? (on block)

Is there a gauge pod that fits the a-piller?

Thanks

You didnt give a year
Why not upgrade to the cluster with gauges and add trans temp, afr, and vacuum rather than adding a tone of stand alone.gauges?

This place also carries the same AutoMeter A-Pillar Pods:

http://www.egauges.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=jeep&Submit=Search

The pods accept the standard 2 1/16" gauges. I run them my self! Photo is from before the addition of the single pod...

P9090004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There have been some concerns about how well they fit to the A-Pillar but, they snug right up when fastened down. I use 1/4" sheet metal screws instead of the plastic buttons that come with the Pods. I do this so as to be able to remove and reinstall the pods. A personal choice...

Thanks for replies.
I forgot to bring up the year. I meant to add it on the bottom of my post, but forgot.

1988 Jeep Comanche, with 1994 drive-train. I already put in the better dash, the one with real gauges, not idiot lights.

Souske, has anyone replaced the factory gauges with aftermarket?

I've seen pictures of a 97+ guage cluster with all Autometer guages in pretty much the same locations as factory. I assume he just made a new face plate to fit the new guages.

I wonder how close this will match up to the agate interior in our xjs...
http://www.genosgarage.com/MOPAR-IN...Z-98-02/productinfo/BP-82201399/#.UvO45sHTmdI

It will match one of the three factory agate colors. :D

I've seen pictures of a 97+ guage cluster with all Autometer guages in pretty much the same locations as factory. I assume he just made a new face plate to fit the new guages.

The gauge cluster pod is quite roomy after cutting out all the stand offs.

Do not expect the factory sensors to work with aftermarket gauges. Some may require separate sensors.

Looking at Summit - the trans temp gauge comes with a sensor.

Hey 'Steamer'.. was your air gauge for the compressor full pressure or were you monitoring air to the lockers? How'd that all connect?

I have an Auto Meter dual pod in my muscle car with digital tach/shift light and the other with trans temp (no longer needed since I went with a 5spd Tremec manual). Might just move the trans temp to the XJ.

Thanks.

Back