• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air conditioning controls

If it's the actual problem then yeah, but I'm betting its the blower motor resistor....

This.

When the selector is set to "High" the flow of current bypasses the resistor pack and has a direct connection to the blower motor. If you only have high, it's most likely your resistor pack.

the xj we have is supposed to have ac... but has absolutely no fan to blow the cold air.
checked the plug and have power (was thinking maybe somehow the switch in the control face was bad).
asked a few people. said to check in here... forgot i was still signed in here, lol.
so how much of a pita is it to change out? or can it be "retired" to work with out the resistor?

So you checked for power at the fan motor, or at the HVAC controls. Also what year? I'd have to look to my FSM but IIRC on the 97+ you have 12+ constant at the fan motor, and the HVAC switch actually switches the ground side through the resistor to get your different speeds...

Cracked-butt, it's entirely possible the fan is worn out and needs replacing. Does it work at all, like on vent? I've replaced a few fans before - they worked great until one day they stopped working...something happened to the motor. I know on Renix era rigs it isn't hard to replace, just 3 bolts hidden in a triangle pattern - 8mm if I remember correctly. Unbolt those and the whole thing pulls right out. Don't throw it away till you get a replacement though, I've needed to swap the connectors before (after jumping the wires to confirm which goes where of course).

Back